News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Yahoo Groups message import into the SMF database

Started by SatTrkr, April 22, 2014, 10:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SatTrkr

I managed to extract all of my Yahoo Group messages into a .db3 file (actually2 files - options.db3 and ygroups.db3). I have searched this community to find a way to integrate it into my SMF forum. I did not find any answers and there may very well be no answers yet. Does anybody have an idea how I can go about and do this? I am running SMF 2.0.7 and my forum is up and running and works very nice. Thank you, in advance, for any information that may be available.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Kindred

there is no existing conversion utility to conver yahoo groups into smf....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

I did try to that for another user some time ago. I was unable to do it, though...

I got to import the .db3 file to MySQL but the content isn't really possible to match to a forum structure (at least in the database I was given). Main issues:
* The posts owners were not transferred so it is impossible to relate posts to users
* There is no topic --> replies structure so it's nearly impossible to recreate that structure for a forum
* The messages have the nasty habit of having the quoted text of all previous messages which looks horrible in a forum

That's why probably nothing exists for this...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SatTrkr

Thank you all for your time and reply. I guess I will delve into this to see what I can do. I guess Yahoo has made it as difficult as possible to transfer this data to other forms.

Too much work to do this as you all have said.

My solution was as follows:

I used a tool called PGOffline to extract the messages from my group and it did a very good job of doing that. Do it slowly or you will get blocked by the provider for taking up too much bandwidth. I did it 400 messages every 15 minutes (yeah, that took a long time but I was patient). I then used the PGOffline tool to generate a Digest of 500 messages per page. I then generated a word document - .docx - and copied each page of 500 messages into the word document for all 8,000+ messages. Have to have patience to do that too. Now I have it in a word document and it looks real nice. Next I saved it as a html file and uploaded this html file to my website and added a link to the html document and wala everyone has instant access to all 8000+ messages from the group.

John
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Dan_

Quote from: margarett on April 23, 2014, 08:12:38 AM
I did try to that for another user some time ago. I was unable to do it, though...

I got to import the .db3 file to MySQL but the content isn't really possible to match to a forum structure (at least in the database I was given). Main issues:
* The posts owners were not transferred so it is impossible to relate posts to users
* There is no topic --> replies structure so it's nearly impossible to recreate that structure for a forum
* The messages have the nasty habit of having the quoted text of all previous messages which looks horrible in a forum

That's why probably nothing exists for this...

I purchased a commercial product that will perform searches,  and could get it to run in a portal block.  However I haven't had time to figure out how to disable editing or deleting...

Something on this order is perhaps the best way forward, if you only want the archives available to search by your forum members. 

Later this summer, I may try to hire margarett to hammer out the presentation of what I have now. :o

margarett

Can you PM me some details about that commercial product?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: