News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Picture posting difficulty

Started by papaw, April 23, 2014, 02:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papaw

How does a guy like me with little to no knowledge of coding or whatever it is that is needed find out why my forum members have difficulty posting pictures?
They get "Internal Server Error" often, and after several tries or waiting for a long time, they can post pictures.
Is it a bandwidth issue?
Host is Godaddy and the forum runs SMF 2.0 RC5 .
Forum-  http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php

kat

Two clues.

1-Godaddy. They really aren't terribly good, I'm afraid.

2-2.0 RC5.

Updates are released for good reasons. RC5, particularly, is a beta version, in essence. Maybe you ought to think about v2.0.6, at least, after backing up. :)

Anything in your error logs?

papaw

I know nothing about looking at error logs, and even less about updates. I have one member that has done some of that for me, but he is out of pocket right now.

Kindred

Well, you had best install the updates soon, since 2.0 rc5 has known security vulnerabilities and is 7 revisions out of date.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

The first logs to check will be those in your admin panel.

papaw

I see nothing there to tell me what was wrong with our ability to post pictures. I see when the errors occur. At the moment, posters don't seem to have as much trouble as last week.

Sir Osis of Liver

GoDaddy has been worse than usual lately.  If the problem comes and goes, it's most likely a host problem.  I'm getting a 403 trying to reach your forum, it's currently offline.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

papaw

Weird- I am on it right now and so are 7 or 8 members.

a10

Interesting forum (am into old tools). About the host, very slow from here, and now and then getting
QuoteConnection  Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

I would look for better hosting (and get the forum upgraded).
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Sir Osis of Liver

403 again.  It's blocking my proxy, never saw that on GD before.

Yes, very interesting forum.  Have a lot of old tools (am an old guy).

- R. Waters

kat

Funny... A few hours ago, I tried. The place was turbo-charged!

Odd...

papaw

Working smoothly at the moment.
I know I need to upgrade, but don't have the knowledge to do so.

margarett

Upgrading SMF
Should be your starting point ;) A full backup is mandatory.

Overall, the conversion should be pretty much painless, but you should be aware that all your Themes and MODs will be automatically uninstalled (because you will load a fresh set of files for the current version) and they need to be reinstalled.
Using GD, on the other hand, is likely to create additional issues for you... The conversion is a quite "heavy" process to the server and, with GD's reputation, I would be surprised if it went smooth...

Anyway, with or without help, you should *REALLY* update your forum. With your current version there are known security issues, this means that you can get hacked and loose all your forum...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

papaw

To all who tell me I need to upgrade-I have to repeat- I don't know enough to do it myself. I have messaged one of the folks advertizing paid upgrade help.

Changing host might be an option, but once again, not in my ability to handle myself.

margarett

That's a smart move, there ;)

Changing hosts is even less painful :) You basically contact a new host (check this board - and child boards - for some ideas http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=4.0) and ask them if they will import your current GD content. Most of them will.
When choosing a new host, the main point is to run away from "Unlimited" stuff. Nothing is unlimited ;)

Good luck!
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sir Osis of Liver

You shouldn't have to pay for upgrade assistance.  PM me and I'll get you going.

- R. Waters

blogger419

Depending on what he's moving to upgrading is not so simple. Especially if going to a VPS.

Sir Osis of Liver

He should upgrade first, then decide if he wants to move.  Doesn't need a vps.  Have done several upgrades and recovered trashed forums on GD accounts, not any worse than other shared hosts I've worked on.

- R. Waters

papaw

SOLVED OK. Upgrade is done, thanks to Gary . We'll see about host change when the hosting term nears its end.

Advertisement: