News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Is there a way?

Started by TMR Guy, April 23, 2014, 07:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMR Guy

Is there a way for me to list all 50 US states on my Home page, then when you click on the state you will get a list of all the major cities in that state. Then when you click on the city, you get a list of all the activities in that city. Then when you click on the activity (Bars, Restaurants, Sports, Movies, Hunting, Fishing, etc) you get all the threads about that activity. The kicker is I don't want to use any Child-Boards.

Thanks in advance,

TMR Guy

margarett

You need a way to categorize your topics with all that info. Something like a tag system, although it seems it wouldn't be enough for you...

Maybe this
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3818
?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

A tagging system might work, as suggested... but what you are asking for is well beyond what the forumis designed fir...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TMR Guy

Thanks guys, I will give that mod a try. If it's not want I want is there a way for me to use child-boards but eliminate or hide the main boards underneath the child-boards?

Kindred

Remove permissions for all member groups to access the parent board?

But as I said, what you are trying to do would probably be better off not using a forum,...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TMR Guy

Quote from: Kindred on April 23, 2014, 11:46:46 PM
Remove permissions for all member groups to access the parent board?

But as I said, what you are trying to do would probably be better off not using a four,...
I'm sorry, but what do you mean by a "four,..."

Drunken Clam

Kindred sometimes has fat fingers when using his phone/tablet.......... he meant 'forum', as in...

'But as I said, what you are trying to do would probably be better off not using a forum,...'

8)

br360

You could also hide the child boards from the index page. This mod does that- http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2864

Maybe say list the 50 states as boards. Each board when opened would show the main cities (child boards). Then instead of having additional child boards for a bunch of different activities in each city, maybe have a sticky topic for them instead? For example- Baltimore would be a child board, and in that child you could have a sticky for bars, another for restaurants, fishing, etc?

It would save the need for 100's of different boards and sub boards which could get very taxing on the server.

Oh, and like Kindred said; if you make the parent board read only in board permissions, only the child boards would appear when clicking on the state or parent board.

Kindred

darned autocorrect tablets...
Quote from: Drunken Clam on April 24, 2014, 01:30:37 AM
Kindred sometimes has fat fingers when using his phone/tablet.......... he meant 'forum', as in...

'But as I said, what you are trying to do would probably be better off not using a forum,...'

8)
Слaва
Украинi

JustOneOldMan

Might not be entirely understanding what you're trying to build, TMR Guy, but just trying to keep things simple wouldn't it be easiest for you and your customers to just create a multi-level menu system?

Using something like this:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2454

Create a menu with states as primary, cities as secondary, and activities as tertiary menu items?  Then, as br360 mentioned, use sticky (and possibly locked if needed) threads as much as possible to keep the number of boards and child boards down?

Just another thought, but as Kindred said a forum isn't really very accommodating to this type of scenario.  If I were going to do it, though, I'd probably go with a menu system to make it easy on customers...
A computer once beat me at chess, but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing...

TMR Guy

Thanks for the help guys, I will check out these mods.

Advertisement: