Hidden Category Which Can Be Accessed By URL

Started by Nimir, April 23, 2014, 09:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimir

Like said in the title, I've been trying to get a category hidden from the board view but in such a way that it can still be accessed through the usage of an url, so I can link to it through a button. I used to use this on IF/JCINK with category permissions but haven't been able to get this to work on SMF. I tried to look at things like the Single Category mod, but it gave a lot of errors when I tried to install it, likely due to SimplePortal incompatibilities. So does anyone has any suggestions/help/ideas on how I can make this work again?

mashby

Who can access the URL though? Anyone? What protection/permissions are you using for the button?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Kindred

Well, if youy make it a child board and then deny permissions for people to access the parent board, I *THINK* that might make the board only accessible via direct URL.
(although still accessible via the recent posts)

what you are doing is contrary to the basic design of forums in general
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Nimir

Well I'm still pretty new to using SMF and thus don't know all the ins and outs of it yet, have used other board systems for quite some time and thus am using that as a reference. However, I think a child board might be a good alternative to use. Though can anyone link me to a good documentation on how to set one up and does it use the same skin and mods as the parent board, or are those separate as well?

mashby

Child Boards
Child boards certainly will have the same mods and can have their own skin (theme) if you desire and have more than one theme installed.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

margarett

Do you mean a board or a full category (group of boards)?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: