News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Anyone working on a ProBoards/Forums.net Converter?

Started by SimianSteam, April 25, 2014, 10:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

margarett

That's a table example, alright :P
But a totally general example, nothing related to proboards...

Are you actually a PB customer? How much does it cost you a dump of your database?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SimianSteam

Quote from: margarett on April 25, 2014, 05:21:35 PM
That's a table example, alright :P
But a totally general example, nothing related to proboards...

Are you actually a PB customer? How much does it cost you a dump of your database?

I am a ProBoards customer. The cost of a database dump isn't straightforward, unfortunately, or I already would've done it. You have to switch from ProBoards free service to their new Forums.net service ($9.99 a month per 60K pageviews), and sign a 6 month commitment before you can get a dump, and there's also no word on whether you can switch back to the free service afterwards.

I'll keep my eye out for someone that switches. The big problem is I don't think anyone's going to be willing to give up a copy of their database file. Too much personal info to just hand out.

margarett

10 bucks a month? Jeezz....

We can't really promise you anything, except that we (I, personally, if no one else) will give it a careful look. But even so, it might happen that we can't really understand the database relations so we can't have a functional converter in the end. And you wasted (at least) $60 :(

I created a converter from XF from scratch, but I had a local install of it, so I could add content and check how the database was being filled. With a service like PB where you have no idea what software do they use, it's that much difficult...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

AllanD

I wasn't outdated, I said that you can't migrate proboards but you would need someone to make you converter to migrate from the other service forums.net and paying 60 bucks for that service is a lot in my book.
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

SimianSteam

Quote from: AllanD on April 25, 2014, 07:49:32 PM
I wasn't outdated, I said that you can't migrate proboards but you would need someone to make you converter to migrate from the other service forums.net and paying 60 bucks for that service is a lot in my book.

3 months ago I would've agreed with you, but I'm 200 members, 800 threads, and 1800 posts in now. The other option is to start from scratch and hope that my members stick around. I'd rather pay the $60.

AllanD

It's a hard to choice to make, also remember you will need a domain name and hosting which just add more to the total.
KnD Hosting

SimianSteam

Quote from: AllanD on April 26, 2014, 08:47:39 AM
It's a hard to choice to make, also remember you will need a domain name and hosting which just add more to the total.

Not a concern. We've got a domain name already. Hosting's gonna be about $20 a month, and I've got vendors that'll take care of that for me.

AllanD

sounds great wish you the best of luck getting this sorted, margarett  is great at this sort of stuff.
KnD Hosting

SimianSteam

Thanks! I'm putting feelers out where ever I can to get ahold of a database, but I think what needs to happen is a throway account. It's $10 for a service that I'm not going to use, but if it helps get this project off the ground...

margarett, how much do you actually need? If I start a forum and immediately download the database without any posts is that enough, or should I make some categories and subforums, get some friends to babble in it for a bit?

margarett

We always need a database with content.

Tell me something... If you pay that service, do you get access to your database on-the-fly or you need to request your dump/backup every time you want it? Or do you need to pay to get that dump?

SimianSteam

Quote from: margarett on April 26, 2014, 05:44:30 PM
We always need a database with content.

Tell me something... If you pay that service, do you get access to your database on-the-fly or you need to request your dump/backup every time you want it? Or do you need to pay to get that dump?

According to the Forums.net web site you can dump it yourself through the admin panel.

margarett

SimianSteam

Quote from: margarett on April 27, 2014, 04:10:03 AM
That might be interesting... 10 bucks?

Yup. I've got an account up and running right now, getting some of my members to post random ****** in it, add avatars, fill in profile info, calendars, etc. You can join in if you want, or just swing by to take a look at the structure. It's https://epf.forums.net/

margarett

Ok, I'm in. Please create child boards and all you can think of ;)

You have my email now, send me a database dump when possible ;)

SimianSteam

Quote from: margarett on April 27, 2014, 11:17:02 AM

Thank you so much! Child boards are in place and I've got people working on posting so we can get a good database sample. I really appreciate your work!

SimianSteam

Quote from: margarett on April 27, 2014, 11:17:02 AM

Did you PM me your email? I didn't get it. *EDIT* Derp. Forum registration. Nevermind. I'm trying to do too many things at once. LoL.

If it'd help I can make you an Admin on the test forum.

margarett

SimianSteam

I've had some of my members crawling all over the test forum all day. It's got 11 Members, 4 categories, 7 subforums. 13 threads (at least one per category) and 78 posts. Is that enough to start with?

margarett

Yes, it is.

Please note that, if PB allows attachments, it will not be possible to restore them as we will not have access to the files...

Advertisement: