News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[concept] UrbanLife

Started by Bloc, April 26, 2014, 06:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Bloc

aksal

It's nice but only a concept. You can be called the "Concept Guy" because you can do only concepts, as you did the last 3 years. Only nice concepts that you never finish.

Bloc

Quote from: aksal on August 04, 2014, 02:23:42 PM
It's nice but only a concept. You can be called the "Concept Guy" because you can do only concepts, as you did the last 3 years. Only nice concepts that you never finish.
Aksal, you want something from me that you cannot have, and like a kid who is refused candy you resort to insults instead. 

So tell me, why should I "help" you?

Antes

More important question, why he needs to finish it? I find your comment so pointless.

aksal

No guys, pointless is what you are doing here. What's the point o presenting ideas for years and never never finish them? It seems that you Bloc present things here, just because you love or need compliments from your SMF-friends, need to hear how good you are....in Mock-ups.

SMF used to be innovative and modern, but this 10 years ago. It's a shame that this forum is stuck in time with no perspective. You don't even have a mobile theme or social integration, when this things are so important,  since 5 years now. And this is a betrayal to this community. Instead you do nothing but supportion each athers pointless ideas (or lack of ideas). - "oh great...this is such a super idea...." - this is what you are doing here.

And no, I don't need anything from you, just can't see anymore this kind of things in a community i used to love.

Herman's Mixen

well, there are other one's written in the past as you are speaking of social integration , mobile themes, and personaly i would not use one of them as it wil NOT fit into a forum concept in general.
If ya need social interaction use those sites as twitter,instagram,facebook what ever they called they useless to me anyway :P

I like the things BLOC does, and yes its pretty hard to do that job on your own as sometime you need a team arround you to get things done !!
so yes "askal" your comment is pretty pointless
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Arantor

And of course the current in-development branch of SMF is not doing anything at all towards a responsive theme (oh wait, yes it is)

Social integration is something that is actually less desirable than you'd think in practice.

radu81

Bloc has made some great templates, including Urban Life. We can not know if it will ever be finished or released ... I'm not a developer or a designer but certainly seeing that kind of comments will not not help Bloc to release this template, specially for free
sorry for my bad english

Bloc

Quote from: aksal on August 05, 2014, 02:33:19 AM
No guys, pointless is what you are doing here. What's the point o presenting ideas for years and never never finish them? It seems that you Bloc present things here, just because you love or need compliments from your SMF-friends, need to hear how good you are....in Mock-ups.

SMF used to be innovative and modern, but this 10 years ago. It's a shame that this forum is stuck in time with no perspective. You don't even have a mobile theme or social integration, when this things are so important,  since 5 years now. And this is a betrayal to this community. Instead you do nothing but supportion each athers pointless ideas (or lack of ideas). - "oh great...this is such a super idea...." - this is what you are doing here.

And no, I don't need anything from you, just can't see anymore this kind of things in a community i used to love.

Wow, what an eye-opener this post was...I feel so much wiser now that I know why I post these topics. I need the comments, that why of course... ::)

Its actually funny to read your attempt at somehow setoff an emotion from me(or maybe its more of thing meant to the whole community, then I would suggest a general topic, not many read this particular topic) like..."oh I must get it done now so aksal will be happy, and not having just team members saying nice things about it".

Let me tell you a secret :) its the team members whole most likely will reply because THEY ARE HERE EVERY DAY. Not like a member with under 30 posts who come here a few times a month. So yeah, they comment, and I am grateful for that, and also to everyone else that leave a little feedback on it. It doesn't decide what I will do with it. So let me educate you a little in how this works(and I sure many other devs/modders and themers will agree)

1) A theme/mod/feature in all its entirety can take weeks to finish. And its certainly 90% out of self-interest that keeps you going, maybe 10% the interest from others. Why? Because we do it for free. Who would bother spending free time on something they dont even LIKE to do? No. And that means the feedback is less important than you think.  Its the icings on the finished cake - not the cake-building itself.

2) Most creative people, be it in code,design or just graphics, make a lot more stuff/ideas/attempts than you will ever see. You think because I stopped several projects that I start from scratch each time? Or that I don't finish them just because I choose to not offer them to others? Wrong. The code is made - even on UrbanLife. But its not 100% finished and I don't set any deadlines on it.

3) In addition most creative people(again in code/design etc.) are also perfectionists. Who wants to be associated with inferior works of art, of buggy things that many people will probably use? Meaning, again, what you call "air projects" are most times projects that might well be used as they are - but they are not perfect yet. And "perfect" is a relative term here.

There not much more for me to say, really. If you reply with yet another "word of wisdom" you only prove that you really have no insight at all - and you probably never have.

Develope

This templete has really good ideas indeed :)

Dragooon

Oh get lost, concepts are as appreciated as actual implementations/templates. Someone might be good at adapting designs but not at actually thinking of them (like me), I always appreciate concepts such as these.

aksal

Bloc, I hope to be wrong, but I'm very sure that you will close this project, will delete your current account here and everything else related to this 'project'. Again. As you did last 4 years.
Cheers.

ARG01

Quote from: aksal on August 07, 2014, 12:32:30 PM
Bloc, I hope to be wrong, but I'm very sure that you will close this project, will delete your current account here and everything else related to this 'project'. Again. As you did last 4 years.
Cheers.

Seems to me that you are simply here to cause trouble. Believe it or not, everybody is here for reasons other than to to impress you or to meet up to your personal expectations. 

Are you a designer? Let's see what you have created. ???
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

margarett

What exactly are you trying to prove? And how does any of that relates to this concept?

If you don't like the concept or the person, do us all a favor and do not participate in this topic. You are only trying to start a flame war and that will not happen ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

ARG01

Just a final word and I will move on.

Quote from: aksal on August 07, 2014, 02:20:22 PM
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=436282.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=475477.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=499036.0

Apparently you don't understand the time and work it takes to create quality designs.

My thought is, you are wanting Colby67 to finish his designs asap (as seen here and in your other posts) so you can use his code work to implement into your own designs.....because you don't know how.  I have seen this behavior many times and can spot it a mile away.  Have a great day.  ;)

Fin.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Bloc

Quote from: aksal on August 07, 2014, 12:32:30 PM
Cheers.
Sigh.

Ok, I really don't want to be a lecturer once again - but understand this: none of my actions or decisions have been taken lightly by myself. They are a bit more complicated in origin than just "I am so over this now". Closing down sites happened after years of keeping them alive. Sure, the bwportal,viennabbs and bloqs projects were shortlived, but they were all evolutions into Protendo - and that isn't gone either, not the code and usage of it anyway(I am using it on a couple of sites). I haven't decided what to go with it further, but its not "abandoned" as you seem to think. Neither is Urbanlife theme code, I actually have transferred some its code already to Protendo, simply because they work better there too.

Why did I delete my account here? Well, again, several reasons, but one of them was posts like yours, actually. I am not proud of admiting that critisism affects me, but I try most times not to, and there were also other RL reasons to keep the distance. Then again, I've been a member here since 2003 with the name "bloc", and visited the site almost every day since then, made many themes for SMF 1.1 and 2.0.x and started and maintained Tinyportal before Brad took over when I was at a stage where I had other concerns, like health.

Whats it to you if I deleted my account or sites? If anything, by coming back as another user using a old test account I left here "just in case", I showed that although I don't want to be "bloc" anymore, I am still here, at this site, posting work I could easily just keep on my harddrive. I have no incentive to NOT do that, the premium/paid stuff I did was never something I liked, and ultimately also quit doing...so whats left of reasons to do it? Getting 4-5 good comments?

You decide.

Bloc

Quote from: Develope on August 05, 2014, 01:43:02 PM
This templete has really good ideas indeed :)
Thank you. :) I realized just now that you are working on the Twitter-SMF theme. If you like something you like to use in your own work, feel free to do so. Its not shown here, but I have coded about 80-90% of the theme, so if you wonder how anything specific is coded, again, just ask. That goes to anyone working with theme work really. (not that I am a know-it-all-themer, just..having some experience :) )

JBlaze

I like the concept very much. Just a thought, but have you looked at implementing Twitter's Bootstrap for the theme? It has some awesome UI components that can be used for many things such as graphs and percentage bars and whatnot that I see you've used in the concept.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Advertisement: