Choosing the right name for your forum

Started by bretttina, April 28, 2014, 02:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bretttina

When i first got into forums i found that there was plenty of people willing to participate, and to be honest most names were easily adapted to suit the forum/genre but now i find that people want to see what your site is about not just from the title.....

Do you use an exact match domain to represent your forum? or do you have a different name to your domain?

I have found that people will look at the domain along with the title of the post be it either google or what ever browser you use to see if the content is relevant for what they are searching for.

I have used both but the exact match domains seemed to generate more traffic even with google's latest updates.

What are your views/opinions please.
Available Business Domains

Kindred

your forum name should be RELATED to your domain name, but direct match is not needed.

For example, I have Turtle Shell Productions hosted on turtleshellprod.com (because tsp and turtleshell were already taken)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

firemun

I try to keep the domain name and the forum name the same. However like Kindred said, you cannot always get that. If your forum is called "MY SMF FORUM", you can get mysmf.com [nofollow] or smfforum.com [nofollow] to try to keep the domain short as it can be so that its easier to remember. If you need help on figuring out a good name, I recommend Name Tumbler (google it) and just put in some keywords and search for the name of your dreams. :)

MidasBalaa

If you choose a domain name related to what you do you will benefit in terms of S.E.O. e.g www.importedcarsforum.com  may be easier to rank on G than a domain name that has no keywords related to cars(assuming you run an imported cars forum). Choose your name carefully as it may determine the success of your business.

Kindred

ummm.... sorry, but you are about 10 years out of date on your SEO knowledge.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jade Elizabeth

My original forum was completely different. It was mywebsite.com/forum and it was called "Alundra's Connundrum" because it was my connundrum that I couldn't come up with a name!

My forum that I owned before that that wasn't very successful (long story) was TDK.com or something...The Dog Kennel. It was pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

I think ultimately it doesn't matter as long as people can google search it if they forget the name :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

ApplianceJunk

I purchased the domain ApplianceJunk.com about a year before I did anything with it. Once I come across SMF I decided to use the domain for the repair forum it is today.

A few years ago I purchased DiyApplianceRepair.com and thought about moving my forum over to it but decided it would not be worth it with all the URL we already have indexed with google. URL's that have been around for a number of years now.

I feel content is the #1 one thing we have going for use and #2 is probably the age of our site, but what do I know?

Jade Elizabeth

Yeah when I moved BunnyRabbitSex onto Creative Burrow I lost a LOT of backlinks and PR. Not happy about it but it was a necessary evil, apparently, ha ha.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Advertisement: