News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Playing with Curve2

Started by Antes, May 05, 2014, 04:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antes

My mid term exams ended but my work never ends :P I took two presentations for different classes while working on them, i had some free time and did some of my past loved ideas on Curve2 and now I want to share them with you.

General of those changes are less likely to go inside the SMF 2.1 but I'll share them with you once I had more time, while doing this changes I find some of them actually good enough to be added into SMF2.1, still I want to hear some feedback from our users to shape it.

I'll try and I'd love to update this topic in future with similar concept edits. Those are not the complete work just basic edits but they will give you some idea about general perspective :)

Deaks

First One ... I am fully against that look and would actually make a mod to revert it to normal if it wasnt an option ... sorry
Second one ... can you please explain what you wish to do.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Antes

np, they are not official changes or wip to the future.

In second one, i moved the Like & report to quick buttons and removed margin between cat_bar & quick reply place also removed top-left/right border radius. Not the mention i removed windowbg/2 bg's and made them look like they are one piece and made the post view less detailed.

Deaks

tbh I think better as they were good to see initiative, but maybe work on the current bugs instead of creating new ones :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Antes

Quote from: Μπράιαν Poύνικ Ντίκεν on May 05, 2014, 06:50:39 PM
tbh I think better as they were good to see initiative, but maybe work on the current bugs instead of creating new ones :P

No sir, you can't take the right of creating annoying bugs from me :P while working on those type of things we discover some hidden bugs as well.

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Antes

Simple admin (back-end) UI, one of the things gets me mostly... Attached a screenshot to the first post.

Arantor

Not convinced it's a good idea to drop the horizontal lines unless you're going to have some kind of hover effect on the entire row so that you know which button lines up with which board name.

Antes

Quote from: Arantor on May 10, 2014, 03:26:52 PM
Not convinced it's a good idea to drop the horizontal lines unless you're going to have some kind of hover effect on the entire row so that you know which button lines up with which board name.

I think there is enough margin between lines but you kinda right it may(probably) confuse people.

Deaks

im with Arantor I dont think its a good idea either as you have it, sorry man
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

live627

+1

You should at the very least use zebra striping.

Dragooon

Quote from: live627 on May 11, 2014, 01:28:20 AM
+1

You should at the very least use zebra striping.
+1 for zebra striping. +2 for zebra striping purely from CSS without using alternative classes

Arantor

Question of the day: does IE8 support zebra-striping purely from CSS? If not, then that won't happen :P

Dragooon

Quote from: Arantor on May 11, 2014, 09:15:15 AM
Question of the day: does IE8 support zebra-striping purely from CSS? If not, then that won't happen :P
Another question of the day, how much damn do we give about IE8?

Arantor

2.1 has been stated to be compatible with IE8+.

Deaks

still a large share browser so really more than you should for ie7 or  ie6 :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Dragooon

Quote from: Arantor on May 11, 2014, 10:22:07 AM
2.1 has been stated to be compatible with IE8+.
Compatible != fully working

Arantor

But usability is a fairly big concern...

Kindred

Motoko has almost convinced me that we need to keep supporting ie8. I am, however, still on the fence and was leaning toward dropping it from 2.1 for this exact sort of reason...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hristo

Not that my vote counts much but still, I'm fully for dropping IE8 support from 2.1. As of April it has 4-5% usage, compared to ~8% usage year ago. Considering as of April XP is no longer supported I expect significant drop in usage within next few months. And when 2.1 is released IE8 will have less than 2% share.

Advertisement: