have version 1.0 beta 5 and looking to upgrade but have questions

Started by sirN, October 07, 2005, 01:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirN

I just got my forum up and looking good when I noticed that it was only version 1.0 (beta 5).  I'd like to upgrade but am nervous as to whether it will cause my forums downtime or problems.  My question is- is it really simple?  Simple for someone like me that has almost no clue aobut this kind of stuff?  I am truly a newbie.

Also, my forum was installed into a directory called (SMF).  I would like to move it to hxxp:www.mysite.org/FORUM [nonactive].  Is this easy to do?  Can I just go in and change the directory or will that cause conflict with things?

Sorry that my questions are pretty lame, but I am truly new to this stuff and really confused.

xenovanis

Quote from: sirN on October 07, 2005, 01:47:58 AM
I just got my forum up and looking good when I noticed that it was only version 1.0 (beta 5).  I'd like to upgrade but am nervous as to whether it will cause my forums downtime or problems.  My question is- is it really simple?  Simple for someone like me that has almost no clue aobut this kind of stuff?  I am truly a newbie.

Download the upgradepackage, unzip it on your harddrive and upload the files to your server. Next, run upgrade.php.

Quote from: sirN on October 07, 2005, 01:47:58 AM
Also, my forum was installed into a directory called (SMF).  I would like to move it to www.mysite.org/FORUM.  Is this easy to do?  Can I just go in and change the directory or will that cause conflict with things?

Sorry that my questions are pretty lame, but I am truly new to this stuff and really confused.

Rename your folder from SMF to FORUM and run repair_settings.php. What is repair_settings.php?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

beemer

SirN

I think you will have to run 2 upgrades to achieve 1.1 RC1

It is straighforward if you follow instructions and shouldn't cause to much downtime.

Just remember the Golden Rule BACKUP FIRST

Upgrade to 1.05

Then

Download & Upgrade to 1.1 RC

xenovanis Am I correct ?
http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC1
MKP 1.1 RC1
Helios Multi RC1
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.thefishsheadnhorsesarse.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC2
TinyPortal 0.8.6

xenovanis

Could be, but I think there's a fair change he is able to upgrade at once from that version.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Oldiesmann

You don't have to run two upgrades to go from 1.0 Beta 5 to 1.1 RC1 - the upgrader will take care of that for you.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

sirN

Ok, for upgrading, I've got the files on my desktop and will upload them to my forum directory.  At that point I'll have duplicates (the old and the new).  When I run the upgrade program, does it automatically remove the old files?  and will it leave all past forum posting and info alone?  I don't want to lose the previous postings.

ps- thanks for the help so far.

xenovanis

You need to overwrite the current files with the ones you downloaded.

Advertisement: