News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

When I try uploading a jpg avatar to my profile, it comes out as a broken image

Started by Biology Forums, May 21, 2014, 04:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Well then, thanks for your help. Strange how no one else has ever complained about this. I did a search and nothing showed up.

Biology Forums

Hey again,

I found exactly where the problem is, it's in Subs-Graphics.php, precisely here:

elseif ($fp)
{
$fp2 = fopen($url, 'rb');
$prev_chunk = '';
while (!feof($fp2))
{
$cur_chunk = fread($fp2, 8192);

// Make sure nothing odd came through.
if (preg_match('~(iframe|\\<\\?php|\\<\\?[\s=]|\\<%[\s=]|html|eval|body|script\W)~', $prev_chunk . $cur_chunk) === 1)
{
fclose($fp2);
fclose($fp);
unlink($destName);
return false;
}

fwrite($fp, $cur_chunk);
$prev_chunk = $cur_chunk;
}
fclose($fp2);
fclose($fp);
}

If I remove ~(iframe|\\<\\?php|\\<\\?[\s=]|\\<%[\s=]|html|eval|body|script\W)~, which of course I haven't, these avatars are uploaded as they should.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to the above code to make this work correctly on SMF 1.x.

Thanks Arantor for your help explaining what the code does.

Arantor

if (preg_match('~(iframe|html|eval|body|script\W|[CF]WS[\x01-\x0C])~i', $prev_chunk . $cur_chunk) === 1)

Biology Forums

Didn't work, image doesn't upload and so avatar comes out broken.

Worst part is that there is no error programmed to tell the member either, so members are left guessing what the problem is, and then eventually give up.

Arantor

Considering that I took it directly from 2.0... where the more paranoid check came from, and this time picked the less paranoid one...

Biology Forums

This is how 2.x handles it (in Profile-Modify.php):

if (!empty($modSettings['avatar_resize_upload']))
{
// Attempt to chmod it.
@chmod($uploadDir . '/avatar_tmp_' . $memID, 0644);

require_once($sourcedir . '/Subs-Graphics.php');
if (!downloadAvatar($uploadDir . '/avatar_tmp_' . $memID, $memID, $modSettings['avatar_max_width_upload'], $modSettings['avatar_max_height_upload']))
return 'bad_avatar';

// Reset attachment avatar data.
$cur_profile['id_attach'] = $modSettings['new_avatar_data']['id'];
$cur_profile['filename'] = $modSettings['new_avatar_data']['filename'];
$cur_profile['attachment_type'] = $modSettings['new_avatar_data']['type'];
}
else
return 'bad_avatar'

Notice the:

if (!downloadAvatar($uploadDir . '/avatar_tmp_' . $memID, $memID, $modSettings['avatar_max_width_upload'], $modSettings['avatar_max_height_upload']))

This is how 1.x handles it (in profile.php):

if (!empty($modSettings['avatar_resize_upload']))
{
// Attempt to chmod it.
@chmod($uploadDir . '/avatar_tmp_' . $memID, 0644);

downloadAvatar($uploadDir . '/avatar_tmp_' . $memID, $memID, $modSettings['avatar_max_width_upload'], $modSettings['avatar_max_height_upload']);
}
else
$post_errors[] = 'bad_avatar';

Can you help me understand why the SMF 1 version doesn't have an IF statement for downloadAvatar

Arantor

*shrug* You're asking me to remember why I did or didn't do something a year ago, I don't remember. I remember I didn't care enough about 1.1.x to be as thorough about it as I should, though.

Kindred

1.1.x is almost End of Life, anyway...    you should upgrade to 2.0.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: