Old Admin died and have no access...

Started by bad5150, May 23, 2014, 03:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

putting in a hash like that for the password most likely will never work due to the way the hashing works.

also you should never delete users directly from the database.

Antechinus

He said the hash did work. ;)

And you should be able to dump members straight from the db AFAIK. There will be some cleaning up to do afterwards, obviously, but it sounds like he's not too fussed.

If the thing has hardly ever been used, there shouldn't be much content. Might be easier to export the tables you want, install a fresh 1.1.19, then import the required data back in and leave all the crud behind. That way you'd only need to grab the details for 4 user accounts, and could drop the rest in one hit.

ETA: Come to think of it, if the place has hardly been used and was out of action for four years, more or less, why not just start a new one?

Illori

i dont see where he says that hashed password works, without clearing the salt i really doubt it will work.

it would be easier to create a new account and edit the db to make that user admin.

bad5150

Antechinus

Ok, just did a quick test on my local test site. If the members you want to delete have no posts or PM's, there is absolutely no problem with deleting them straight from the db. Forum maintenance section of admin was perfectly happy afterwards.

Note that I haven't tested all the possible permutations of member stuff yet (this was just a quick look around).

Since the db is probably not very large (if the forum hasn't been used much) phpMyAdmin should be able to handle any required operations without hitting timeout problems.

Suggestion:

Start by emptying the error log. It probably has a lot of accumulated crud, and you wont want to keep it.

Copy the db content to a new db, then point the forum at that. Mass delete away to your heart's content. Easiest way would be to browse the members table, order them by group (which will put the admins and mods at top) then export the rows for admins and mods only (just use the quick export, not the custom options).

Once you have the required rows exported, check the SQL file to make sure it has the content you want. If it does, drop the entire members table in one fell swoop. Then, simply import your SQL file back into the db. It will re-create the members table with only the content you want.

If forum then explodes, you know it didn't work well, and you can simply point the forum back to the original db. If forum doesn't explode, go into forum maintenance section of admin and run all the basic maintenance tasks. See what happens.

Ninja ZX-10RR

As you have been all concerned about answering him how to do all of that (lol you probably missed that line) and no one ever considered he asked how to IP ban someone then I link you these even if I really need to make a guide about this:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=523720.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=523925.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=301568.msg3709524#msg3709524
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Antechinus

Install custom questions mod, if sticking with 1.1.x. That helps a lot too. Not required if going to upgrade to 2.0.x.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1516

And I can give him an .htacess file that will deal with a lot of miscreants from odd corners of the globe (mostly China and the former Soviet Union).

(and yes, I know globes don't actually have corners :P)

Ninja ZX-10RR

I actually made a guide for it --> http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=524146.0 hopefully someone of the team will approve it :) also because it took me more than an hour to figure out all the details xD
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Ninja ZX-10RR

Thank you :) you are in it if you noticed ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Antechinus

Man I'm like pathogenic bacteria. I'm in everything.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Ahahahahaahah shut up you are there just to look cool you are not helpful at all you are nobody :P (jk)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Antechinus

Ninja ZX-10RR

Well I am trying to be funny in a sad situation topic ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: