News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Banned myself & cannot access forum I administrate!

Started by mermaidmarion, May 25, 2014, 12:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mermaidmarion

Hi there,

When discovering some spam, I as forum administrator banned the spamming users with their IP-addresses and seem to have banned myself in the process. When I or any other member of the forum tries to log in, this message appears:

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!

hxxp:the%20forum%20url%20is%20http://forum.coill.net/ [nonactive]
using SMF 1.1.11

I would be very grateful for any help with this problem.
Thank you kindly,
Marion

HDB

Use a friend's computer that is on a different IP address to gain access to the forum. From a different IP you should be able to log into the forum as the Admin and unban your IP.

mermaidmarion

Thanks for your swift reply! Unfortunately, this does not seem to do the trick. Even when I log on from a completely different computer that I have never before used to access the forum, the error message comes up  :-\

Any other suggestions very much appreciated!
Cheers,
Marion

Kindred

1- you should never use SMF to ban IPs...   in general, using a large number of bans is a bad idea anyway... but banning by IP is a particularly bad idea for several reasons....   you can catch unexpected groups of real users, banning in SMF slows down your whole system. If you feel that you absolutely must ban someone by IP then use an htaccess ban.

2- Go into your hosting cpanel, access the database in phpmyadmin find the smf_log_bans table (or, it might be the smf_ban_items table)

find your IP, user ID or host and delete that row...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

After the serious answers can i just be snarky and laugh? xD

Btw you could also try the Tor browser, you would get a result pretty much similar to K@'s method.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

mermaidmarion

Hi there,

and thanks so much to Kindred, K@ and Flavio93Zena for additional tips (and for the laughter, I did have a good snortle at myself, yes!).

It seems that the IP-address is not the crux of the problem, as logging on from another IP-address or with anonymised IP doesn't help either, all users of the forum seem categorically banned :(

I am now trying to get the person who initially helped me set up the domain to get me into the CPanel. Could be a good opportunity to back the forum up, I guess  :o

So again thanks, and will bother you again if all fails ....
(Sheepish) Marion

Kindred

Sounds like you made a classic mistake and banned a whole series of ip addresses...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Kindred on May 25, 2014, 07:42:39 AM
2- Go into your hosting cpanel, access the database in phpmyadmin find the smf_log_bans table (or, it might be the smf_ban_items table)

find your IP, user ID or host and delete that row...
You're welcome and yeah i guess this one is your best bet ;) let us know if you sort it out! :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: