News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Split Forum Mod

Started by dougiefresh, May 27, 2014, 07:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougiefresh

Quote from: nuberry on July 07, 2014, 09:56:46 AM
Hi , please excuse my ignorance , but will this allow me to create sub forums like angling clubs with say their own moderators , admin and enable them to allow them to approve there own members . In other word they will be able to select if its an open forum or member or a combo of both . the essential thing for us is that they can select there own approvals . basically run there own mini forum

many thanks :)
This is a good question.  Right now, the mod is designed to allow the users that register in any of the subforums to access the other subforums with the same username/password combo.  The only thing administrators of subforums can't do is managing other subforums and install/uninstall packages.  If a member is approved for one subforum, they have access to all of them (provided they know about them).

I would think that seperating the members by subforum would be possible, however, it would also mean that if one member registered with one subforum and found another, their username would be already in use and can't use it to sign up at the other one....  Plus there is currently no way to track which subforum a member signed up through, so suddenly making this change might make things more difficult if this mod has already been in use because all users would default to the primary forum....

Would this ability be something you would like to see as a part of this mod?  Any other ideas to go along with it?

dougiefresh

Quote from: dougiefresh on July 11, 2014, 06:50:10 PM
suddenly making this change might make things more difficult if this mod has already been in use because all users would default to the primary forum....
I thought about this statement some more and decided that if this change were made, the forum software could look for users both in the primary subforum and the secondary subforums, so this wouldn't be a big issue....  Registering per subforum is definitely possible, but the username couldn't be used between each subforum.

DoctorVox

I'm having a problem where none of the forums made on the subforum can be accessed.

QuoteThe board you specified is located on a different forum

I've tried removing and remaking the subforum several times, and it keeps happening. The subforum doesn't appear to show up in the subforum SQL table, taking a peek through phpMyAdmin, but none of the original boards from the main forum show up when I go to the subforum so I assume it's working right. I just can't access any of the subforum's boards.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Also, any plans for an easy way to move boards from the main forum to the subforum?

margarett

Referring to the previous discussion, just a thought ;)
If you are to have separate boards and members, wouldn't it be easier to just have separate forum installations? To me, the biggest advantage of this is exactly a content strict separation with shared member base ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

dougiefresh

Quote from: DoctorVox on July 24, 2014, 05:09:53 AM
I'm having a problem where none of the forums made on the subforum can be accessed.

QuoteThe board you specified is located on a different forum

I've tried removing and remaking the subforum several times, and it keeps happening. The subforum doesn't appear to show up in the subforum SQL table, taking a peek through phpMyAdmin, but none of the original boards from the main forum show up when I go to the subforum so I assume it's working right. I just can't access any of the subforum's boards.

Any idea what could be causing this?
Let me take a look at the issue....

Also, any plans for an easy way to move boards from the main forum to the subforum?
Your statement tells me I broke an intended feature..... That's a bummer  :-[  Let me look into that issue as well....

EDIT: At present, the intention of the mod is to have categories seperated by subforums.  Boards are a part of the category.  You should be able to move the category from one subforum (or the main forum) to another subforum (or the main forum) ONLY if you are doing so from the PRIMARY forum.  Subforums are only able to move boards and categories around in their own "private" space, not to another subforum.  Does this answer your question?

ryan_dwight

Pardon my stupid question but I can't find how to add board on the new sub forum?
I don't know if I miss something but is it possible to move a certain board of topic from the main forum to the subforum?

DoctorVox

Quote from: dougiefresh on July 24, 2014, 04:25:08 PM
Your statement tells me I broke an intended feature..... That's a bummer  :-[  Let me look into that issue as well....

EDIT: At present, the intention of the mod is to have categories seperated by subforums.  Boards are a part of the category.  You should be able to move the category from one subforum (or the main forum) to another subforum (or the main forum) ONLY if you are doing so from the PRIMARY forum.  Subforums are only able to move boards and categories around in their own "private" space, not to another subforum.  Does this answer your question?

Trying from the primary board, there appears to be no option to move the category to another subforum via the category modify menu, and trying to open a subforum category's modify menu brings me back to the boards area on the main forum.

I did find one work-around while poking around. Category table in the SQL database. Forumid option. Changing the 0 to a 1 moved the entire category. I had tried that before shortly after my message, but didn't know if it would have worked if I wasn't having the "forum on another board" issue.

dougiefresh

Quote from: DoctorVox on July 24, 2014, 09:30:18 PM
Trying from the primary board, there appears to be no option to move the category to another subforum via the category modify menu, and trying to open a subforum category's modify menu brings me back to the boards area on the main forum.
Quote from: ryan_dwight on July 24, 2014, 06:07:18 PM
Pardon my stupid question but I can't find how to add board on the new sub forum?
:o Last night, I confirm ed that there were several bugs in the Manage Boards UI and have fixed a few of them.....  Will post a new version once I have gotten rid of them....  ???

Quote from: ryan_dwight on July 24, 2014, 06:07:18 PM
I don't know if I miss something but is it possible to move a certain board of topic from the main forum to the subforum?
I'll rewrite modify the UI so that moving boards to categories under a different subforum is possible, but only from the primary forum.

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.4 - July 26th, 2014
o While changing the subforum a category is assigned to, the category order list now changes.
o Added the ability to move boards between subforums
o Fixed multiple Manage Boards UI bugs, resulting from subforum ID not being passed
o Fixed an undeclared array element error found in Load.php
o Modified tab system so that it works better with revised move boards ability
o Modified db_install.php so that it doesn't overwrite previous subforum settings when installing
o Removed code from uninstall.php that automatically removes subforum files...

@DoctorVox and @ryan_dwight: This update should fix the problems you reported.  Thanks for the bug report!

skeletonkiss

I'm currently using Simple Portal, and I want to make a 'sister site' for my roleplaying site; ideally I wanted this to be within my original forum, but have an entirely different look and feel, with a new theme, and newly styled Simple Portal blocks. Since I had thought of doing it as a regular sub forum, which quickly got squashed as I realized I could not achieve actual categories this way, your mod is basically -exactly- what I was looking for.

There's just one problem; the simple portal blocks carry over to both the main forum, and the newly created sub forum. I cannot seem to either add new blocks that -only- show on the new one, nor exclude existing ones from showing. And anything that is set to display on 'forum' shows universally.

Is there a way, even in the tables in the database, to add the new forum in? I tried adding the board id but even when added directly to the table (versus checking the box within the block settings in the portal manager), new blocks are not showing up, and as stated before, I see no way to exclude existing ones from showing in the new board, either.

This mod is so perfect for what I was going for, but thats a bit of a deal breaker for me, if there's no way to add portal blocks in for this specific board...

dougiefresh

I would have to look at the Simple Portal mod and see how it integrates into everything else, in order to see what I'd have to do to make it work for ya....

skeletonkiss

I would very much appreciate any help you could give me with this. ^^

dougiefresh

I just installed Simple Portal on a clean test localhost forum and looked at the files.  It looks like there are three files in the Sources folder to modify and probably will have to do some editing on the templates, too....  I might be able to hack something up this weekend....

skeletonkiss

That would be amazing. I love that mod, and yours does exactly what I need, except for that one thing. Would it be possible, since the way SP works is you can set blocks to portal, forum, some of the other pages like profile, pm's, etc, then each board indivually, to have the forum setting, which is what controls what blocks you see on the board index, be able to select 'forum 0' 'forum 1', etc? Since the mod obviously makes the new 'board' have a unique forum id, would that be possible? So I could have a set of blocks that showed on the index for forum 0, the main board, then a second set that showed  on the index for the second board, forum 1?

dougiefresh

Quote from: skeletonkiss on July 29, 2014, 07:20:21 PM
That would be amazing. I love that mod, and yours does exactly what I need, except for that one thing. Would it be possible, since the way SP works is you can set blocks to portal, forum, some of the other pages like profile, pm's, etc, then each board indivually, to have the forum setting, which is what controls what blocks you see on the board index, be able to select 'forum 0' 'forum 1', etc? Since the mod obviously makes the new 'board' have a unique forum id, would that be possible? So I could have a set of blocks that showed on the index for forum 0, the main board, then a second set that showed  on the index for the second board, forum 1?
That's the plan.....

dougiefresh

Hold on....  I just reread your statement.  I can make the blocks show up in the selected forums, but to make a set of blocks for each subforum would involve many more code changes, and I'm not sure how many that would be.....  It would be easier to make it so that selected blocks show up in each subforum, like block 1 is allowed to show up in subforum 0 and 1, but block 2 is only allowed to show up in subforum 1.....

Keep in mind, I don't wanna commit to something yet without studying the code more closely.....

My biggest issue with making a "second set" (as in duplicating entries) is that when you uninstall the split forum mod, all the blocks from all the subforums would show up, so you might have two of a particular block just because.  However, if I make it so that a single block can be used across multiple subforums, then all blocks would still show up when uninstalling, but it won't look like garbage because blocks won't be duplicated unnecessarily....  However, my biggest concern is the performance considerations....

skeletonkiss

Oh, what I meant was, I have my main forum, and your mod created a second, calling the main 'Forum 0', and the second 'forum 1'. As SP has the 'forum' option, which puts blocks on just the main index (unless others also specified), what I want is a second set of blocks for the 'index' of the second forum, forum 1.

DoctorVox

Had a bit of a delay updating, due declining health, but the category moving works perfectly now. Thank you for all your work.

Still having some trouble accessing boards. It's now saying that the specified board doesn't exist when clicked from the subforum's index, using the default link format ("/board,61.0.html") but they can still be accessed from the subforum options in the admin panel with links that are formatted differently. ("index.php?board=61")

Any idea what might be causing this one?

dougiefresh

Quote from: DoctorVox on July 31, 2014, 08:10:09 PM
Had a bit of a delay updating, due declining health, but the category moving works perfectly now. Thank you for all your work.

Still having some trouble accessing boards. It's now saying that the specified board doesn't exist when clicked from the subforum's index, using the default link format ("/board,61.0.html") but they can still be accessed from the subforum options in the admin panel with links that are formatted differently. ("index.php?board=61")

Any idea what might be causing this one?
I can reproduce this bug.  I will have to research why this is happening....

Quote from: skeletonkiss on July 29, 2014, 08:00:53 PM
Oh, what I meant was, I have my main forum, and your mod created a second, calling the main 'Forum 0', and the second 'forum 1'. As SP has the 'forum' option, which puts blocks on just the main index (unless others also specified), what I want is a second set of blocks for the 'index' of the second forum, forum 1.
Lemme see what I can do....

dougiefresh

@DoctorVox: I've figured out why that is happened.  It'll be fixed with the next version.

@skeletonkiss: I've got new code working within the Simple Portal code that will allow you to select which subforum or subforums you want a particular block on.  Attached is a picture....

Advertisement: