Split Forum Mod

Started by dougiefresh, May 27, 2014, 07:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Quote from: SilverKnight on August 23, 2014, 03:56:38 AM
This is perhaps one of the most important mods for SMF, should really be built into the source.

No, it is not....     It is not really in much demands, As evidenced by the fact that it took over 10 years for someone to build it. Sure, some people want it... And for them it might seem important, but for the general admin, this mod will never be needed or used.

Which leads me to the statement that - it is unlikely that this would be included in the core...  For exactly the reason I stated above.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

129 downloads in a year is certainly suggestive of it being niche.

skeletonkiss

Before a huge debate goes on, still having issues with the mod, so I'd like those addressed before it gets buried.

Second, I do think this functionality would be AMAZING if it came with SMF out of the box. SMF is very popular amongst roleplayers and gamer in general and being able to have entirely secondary forums with shared members/etc is hugely appealing for us.

This mod just doesn't have a lot of press; it took me ages to find it, and figure out what it did, but once I realized what it was, it was -exactly- what I had been looking for. So part of the problem, I think, is just people not knowing it exists. And once the bugs are more ironed out I do plan to post about this on a forum for rpg's which has a thread for vital SMF mods for roleplaying games, and I think that will draw some attention.

That all said, another equally important mod that should be part of the core code is the Sub accounts mod, and it's not, and that one is pretty popular I think.

Arantor

Except that I couldn't make a reasonable defence for either as a core feature. I realise that both are important, however neither is a feature that actually is needed for a sizeable percentage of the forum userbase; they are mods for a niche part of the SMF ecosystem. Sucks, but that's what we've observed over the last 5 years.

skeletonkiss

Can I make the arguement, then, that Karma is a 'niche' item, that I personally have never used, along with the 'subscriptions' function? Both are built into the code but I cannot imagine the subs function especially gets used by your average SMF user.

Arantor

Yes, you can make that argument about karma, which is why it's been removed from 2.1.

Subscriptions was originally a mod that got included, and usage data we've seen suggests it has been used more prevalently than karma or either of the mods you are advocating.

On the other hand also, something like subscriptions - where you're dealing with actual money - is likely better served by an environment where it will actually be treated if bugs are found, something that may or may not happen as a mod.

Kindred

Neither subforums nor subaccounts are major desired functions that would be used by 90% of the communities out there...   As much as you find it useful, most would not ever have a use for either feature.  Our intention is to keep smf simple - additional functions can be added by each individual admin to suit their site needs, That is why there are mods...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dougiefresh

I would like to request support for Pretty urls with this mod, that would be a great help.
Yup, this mod appears to totally break Pretty URLs....  Lemme see what I can do.

SilverKnight

Quote from: dougiefresh on August 23, 2014, 06:26:41 PM
I would like to request support for Pretty urls with this mod, that would be a great help.
Yup, this mod appears to totally break Pretty URLs....  Lemme see what I can do.

Much appreciated

SilverKnight

I have a issue when installing Split forum mod over simple portal.

I get this error when hitting save in the general configuration section of simple portal:

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/Subs-Admin.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/hypergam/public_html/hgn/forums/Sources/PortalAdminMain.php on line 120

Quoteif (isset($_GET['save']))
   {
      checkSession();

// Update the subforum array with the new settings:
      $subforum_tree[$forumid]['sp_portal'] = (int) $_POST['sp_portal_mode'];
      $subforum_tree[$forumid]['sp_standalone'] = $_POST['sp_standalone_url'];

// Place the revised subforum array into the Settings.php file:
      require_once($sourcedir.'/Subs-Admin.php');
      updateSettingsFile(array('subforum_tree' => str_replace("\n", "", var_export($subforum_tree, true))));

saveDBSettings($config_vars);
      redirectexit('action=admin;area=portalconfig;sa=generalsettings');
   }

Line 120 being the line in question, Subs-Admin.php is obviously present.

skeletonkiss

Since it got buried, I'm still having this issue.

dougiefresh

Quote from: skeletonkiss on August 24, 2014, 02:29:30 AM
Since it got buried, I'm still having this issue.
Quote from: SilverKnight on August 24, 2014, 12:39:09 AM
I have a issue when installing Split forum mod over simple portal.

I get this error when hitting save in the general configuration section of simple portal:

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/Subs-Admin.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/hypergam/public_html/hgn/forums/Sources/PortalAdminMain.php on line 120

Quoteif (isset($_GET['save']))
   {
      checkSession();

// Update the subforum array with the new settings:
      $subforum_tree[$forumid]['sp_portal'] = (int) $_POST['sp_portal_mode'];
      $subforum_tree[$forumid]['sp_standalone'] = $_POST['sp_standalone_url'];

// Place the revised subforum array into the Settings.php file:
      require_once($sourcedir.'/Subs-Admin.php');
      updateSettingsFile(array('subforum_tree' => str_replace("\n", "", var_export($subforum_tree, true))));

saveDBSettings($config_vars);
      redirectexit('action=admin;area=portalconfig;sa=generalsettings');
   }

Line 120 being the line in question, Subs-Admin.php is obviously present.
Quote from: jjqualls on August 17, 2014, 08:27:46 AM
I get 47.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/PortalAdminMain.php   Test failed
   1.   Add After   ./Sources/PortalAdminMain.php   Test failed
   2.   Add Before   ./Sources/PortalAdminMain.php   Test failed

When I try to install, guessing this is something for people using simple portal? My install has the file but it's completely blank. Gonna try to install anyways I guess and see what it does.
I've addressed these issues in version 1.8....

SilverKnight

I've addressed these issues in version 1.8....

My apologies, many thanks.

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.8 - August 24th, 2014
o Fixed some undefined errors found in ManageSplitForums.php.
o Fixed issue with Manage Boards UI installed where copying blocks was selected by default.
o Modified code so that domain names with and without www. are properly recognized.
o Rewrote function that copies SimplePortal blocks from one subforum to another.
o Fixed bug with SimplePortal saving configuration settings because variable wasn't globalized.
o Fixed variable type-casting bug with deleting SimplePortal blocks from a subforum.
o Fixed mod installer issue for people without SimplePortal installed.

Please note this update does not fix Pretty URL compatibility with this mod.  This update should resolve the other reported bugs....

Quote from: ‽ on August 23, 2014, 07:34:39 AM
129 downloads in a year is certainly suggestive of it being niche.
Actually, it was released to the public on May 27th, 2014, which means it has been available for download only 3 months.  This mod was developed about a year ago, but personal health concerns and work kept me from being able to make the modifications necessary to get it out of the approval queue....

jjqualls

Thanks once again for everything dougiefresh! Loving this mod. Having 1 issue but not sure if it's the mod or if it's SMF in general since I haven't actually used SMF without the mod. My categories on the subforums are all out of order. When I am on the board editor, my categories are in order, but when I go to the actual website, they seem to be in a random order. Is this from the mod or is this just how SMF does?

Arantor

Are you using SMF 2.0.8? (And using MySQL 5.6?)

dougiefresh

Once you put categories in a specific order, they SHOULD stay in that order, regardless of whether you're in the board index or in the board manager....  In all of my tests, the categories have remained in order.  I assume you're using SMF 2.0.8, right?  Lemme investigate this....

jjqualls

Yes, using SMF 2.0.8 but Split forum 1.7, was about to work on upgrading to 1.8. Not sure what mySQL I am using atm, whatever godaddy has.

Something that may or may not be messing with it, all the subforums have the same catagory names, not sure if this messes with anything.

skeletonkiss

Tried it out and it seems to be working much better, copied over a full set of blocks to a new board...Only small issue is all the blocks were immediately set to ON....Which was a bit hilarious as I have some that are seasonal/etc...But it all seems to have transfered over nicely!!

dougiefresh

Quote from: jjqualls on August 24, 2014, 01:39:36 PM
Not sure what mySQL I am using atm, whatever godaddy has.
:o (Sigh)  There isn't much I hate about forum discussions, but useless answers definitely rate up there in my list.....  Could you please check?

Yes, using SMF 2.0.8 but Split forum 1.7, was about to work on upgrading to 1.8.
Version 1.8 does not make any changes that would affect category order.

Something that may or may not be messing with it, all the subforums have the same catagory names, not sure if this messes with anything.
All the categories are numbered within the database, so the individual category names should have nothing to do with the order of the categories themselves....

Quote from: skeletonkiss on August 24, 2014, 03:06:20 PM
Tried it out and it seems to be working much better, copied over a full set of blocks to a new board...Only small issue is all the blocks were immediately set to ON....Which was a bit hilarious as I have some that are seasonal/etc...But it all seems to have transfered over nicely!!
Whoops...  I omitted some of the fields by accident....  The fixed Subs-ManageSplitForums.php file will be included in v1.9, however, if you need the fixed file now, it is attached.  Meanwhile, I'm gonna see about Pretty URL compatibility....

Advertisement: