News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Split Forum Mod

Started by dougiefresh, May 27, 2014, 07:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougiefresh

Damn, you're finding a lot of things to fix/address!  :P  It's going to take me a while to address all these issues....

Quote from: rtwingfield on July 09, 2015, 06:56:17 PM
1) From a maintenance and support perspective (this is the programmer talking), I like the idea of one database schema, and one application code installation.  When a new version release is available, or a modification necessary, then only one upgrade has to be installed.
That's the goal.

2) From a marketing and sales point of view, if I am installing the system on a platform that will serve multiple entities (as in a "cloud" or what we used to call a time-sharing service bureau environment), for example, a federal agency, a regional warehouse distribution center, and a financial institution,  and each of the entities want to have their own administrator, then these administrators are going to be uncomfortable and probably "put off" when they see registered members associated with the other entity sub-forums appear in a member list.  Same thing regarding category and  boards lists, and so on.
Well, regarding categories and boards, you could create multiple membergroups, each with their own permissions and board lists, so that one group can't browse the content of another subforums.  I can do something about the members appearing in the board index's Info Center....  However, the member table is meant to be shared between all subforums.  I don't know if I can do something to seperate them easily...

But perhaps I should have asked this first -- how do you describe or identify a "Sister Site"?
The idea for the "Sister Sites" concept came from someone who wanted to be able to allow their members to go to the other sites that are connected to the forum, whether it be to the primary forum or the other subforums.  Obviously, this is not ideal for forums demanding seperateness, but would work for related sites....

Kindred

I will note that large changes to the database should be avoided -- because the more changes are made, the more chance that something will break in a future upgrade or will NOT be portable to the next version
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dougiefresh

Quote from: Kindred on July 09, 2015, 08:17:46 PM
I will note that large changes to the database should be avoided -- because the more changes are made, the more chance that something will break in a future upgrade or will NOT be portable to the next version
Agreed....

dougiefresh

@rtwingfield:  Just for giggles, I looked under another place that the boards are listed: Permissions -> Board Permissions....  Fixes are needed there, too....

Also, I thought I'd post a pic detailing what the "Add Membergroup" page now looks like with the primary and at least one subforum.  Similar changes will come to both the Edit Membergroup page, as well as the Board Permissions page....  I should point out that when browsing these pages in a subforum, other subforum boards won't be shown, nor will the subforum selection tabs.

@Kindred: At most, these changes involve a single addition to the table(s) involved, as well as a few code alterations....  Nothing too serious, but geez....

Kindred

The alternative, dougiefresh, is to add a new table or two with all of the extra sub-forum information and then JOIN it based on user ID, category ID or board ID

That way,, altering the core tables isnot an issue (that is the way my old company did it, when they modified 2.0RC3 to handle multiple sites with a single install...  I believe they read it into the context array for ease of access
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dougiefresh

UPDATE: Under the Membergroups section, I've completed modifications to the Add Membergroup page and the Edit Membergroup page to seperate the boards and categories by subforum for SMF 2.0.  Under the Permissions section, I've completed the same modifications for the Boards Permissions page.  I've got to do the same modifications for SMF 2.1 before I proceed to alter anything else on the mod....

I've found the code responsible for writing the online log (in Sources/Subs.php, function writeLog) and definitely can adapt it to add which subforum that user is browsing, as well as restrict the Info Center's display of members online to those surfing that particular subforum....  I will also need to alter the "Who's Online" action to filter out users by subforum as well....  I'm going to add a switch to enable this particular modification, that way the mod acts like it always has for those that want it to do so....

Adrek

Does this mod have option to select global moderators for subforum?
Polskie wsparcie SMF na simplemachines.org

the simplest solution is most likely the right one

Adrek

Problem above was solved by creating additional forum profile.

Another question - is there any variable to check on which forum we are? I want to use it to hide selected categories on SMF Gallery.

dougiefresh

Apologies about the lateness of the reply.  Things have been hectic for the last few weeks.....

Quote from: phantomm on October 24, 2015, 06:09:32 PM
No, this mod does not have that ability yet.

Quote from: phantomm on November 04, 2015, 03:20:11 PM
Not sure what you mean by this statement....

Another question - is there any variable to check on which forum we are? I want to use it to hide selected categories on SMF Gallery.
$forumid is the global variable that holds which subforum that is being browsed at the moment by the script.  It is an index of the $subforum_tree global array, which contains information about all subforums contained within the forum install.  So this:
$subforum_tree[$forumid]
points to the current subforum.  In order to use either variable, make sure you declare them global.....

Adrek

Thanks for pointing $forumid :) Everything works fine now.

Quote from: dougiefresh on November 04, 2015, 04:52:11 PM
Quote from: phantomm on October 24, 2015, 06:09:32 PM
No, this mod does not have that ability yet.

Not sure what you mean by this statement....

I just created new forum profile with correct permissions and assigned it to boards on subforum :)

Adrek

Again me :)

I'm trying to assign primary group for members registered from alias, but mod doesn't seem to see any groups?

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.26 - November 14th, 2015
o SMF 2.0.x: Modified Add Membergroup in order to group boards by subforum, then category.
o SMF 2.0.x: Modified Edit Membergroup in order to group boards by subforum, then category.
o SMF 2.0.x: Modified Board Permissions UI in order to group boards by subforum, then category.
o Fixed issue with primary membergroup per subforum setting not showing any membergroups.
o Removed "db_uninstall.php" and renamed other files to reduce confusion.

@phantomm: Thanks for the bug report!  This should solve this particular bug report.  I still have to implement the changes for SMF 2.1 that I implemented solely for SMF 2.0....

Adrek

Adrek

Now I can select group for new members on alias, but new users do not have any group after registration.
Error log is empty.

dougiefresh

Sorry for replying so late.  I will take another look....

dougiefresh

Quote from: phantomm on November 15, 2015, 03:54:27 PM
Now I can select group for new members on alias, but new users do not have any group after registration.
Error log is empty.
That's weird.  I just created a new group named Blegh on my test forum, assigned it to the primary forum (forum id # 0), then logged out of my admin account and registered as a new user.  Opened the profile settings as the new user and saw that it was assigned to membergroup Blegh.....

Can you attach your Sources/Subs-Members.php so that I can see what is going on, please?

Adrek

Now I see what is happening: I select group from dropdown, but after saving primary group is empty.

dougiefresh

I figured out why that setting won't save: Wrong setting NAME.   ::)   I've fixed the subforum settings page for the next version.  Thanks for the bug report, phantomm!

Adrek

I would never looked there :) for now I added group ID directly in database.

Thanks for finding fix so quickly :)

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.27 - November 20th, 2015
o Fixed issue where primary membergroup field on settings page wasn't set correctly in UI.

Advertisement: