[FREE] Anti ad-block mod

Started by Ninja ZX-10RR, June 02, 2014, 11:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja ZX-10RR

Hi everyone, I think someone should really make an anti ad-block mod with these features:

• Must be compatible with all browsers

• Must be able to detect almost any kind of ad-blockers

• Should have a permission setting

• If a user has an ad-block and attempts to browse the website then it should pop-up a non-bypassable window asking kindly to deactivate it in order to support the website

• Should have a selectable option allowing users not to be prompted again for a given time (ex. : a week)

• Should not force users to disable it by default, admins should be able whether to enable a forcing option for given membergroups.

• I think this should be free because it would allow everyone to block ad-blocks and gain more to pay for the host and all the expenses.

Thanks for your attention, hope that a generous soul will take this request and post something useful :) have a nice day! :D
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

Good luck. It's virtually impossible.

Ninja ZX-10RR

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( whyyyyy D:

[OT] arantor is back :) no more zombie coder xD [/OT]
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

Because the minute it goes even remotely mainstream the ad-blockers will get updated.

It's a cat and mouse game.

Ninja ZX-10RR

The first reply in 40 secs is something for guinness world record... Anyway I am talking about something like this, I mean, better than this, and this one keeps working: http://zeb89.altervista.org/forum/ activate your ad-block and give it a try, you will be redirected here: http://antiblock.org/

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

my ad blocker is enabled and i dont get redirected anywhere on that forum.

Ninja ZX-10RR

You should get "accesso negato" that is "access denied" if you press on the "?" button you should be redirected like I said. If not well what adblock are you using? I have adHunter embedded in my Maxthon browser and adFender also. I noticed that if I deactivate the embedded one it works with no ads so probably it's made only for embedded ad-blockers but it would be already something you know?

P.s. Thanks both for your replies meantime huh! :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

you did not say to click on any button, and i dont see any ? button to click on.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Like I said it probably works only for embedded adblockers, if I disable my embedded adHunter it shows nothing.
And I have attached the screenshot ;) sorry if it's not in the center I didn't want to delete all the other tabs XD

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

the ad blocker on i have on opera does not show that at all. the ad blocker i have on firefox redirects to google.it.

radu81

I will never join a forum that forces me to see their ads. I am using Adblock and I am the only one who can decide which domains can show me ads

there is a similar mod for another forum software, but it's not working like that website you indicated Flavio. You can still browse the website but you'll see  a message. On website indicated you'll get redirected so cannot browse it

tested with Chrome and AdBlock
sorry for my bad english

Ninja ZX-10RR

LOL that's seriously weird  O:) I have no idea why that happens but it *should* pop out the window I screenshotted >_< Anyway disrupting the connection like that it's not very good. What I requested *should* work much better than that...

@radu indeed I wouldn't join it as well but at least a reminder to kindly ask them to disabling it... Actually I would disable it if prompted kindly :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

And that's just it... there's a limit to what can be done and pretty much any method can be defeated.

It's actually the same argument with DRM. The harder you make it for legitimate customers/potential customers, the fewer you're going to get. The indie bundles have proved time and again that you can give things away at a reasonable price, without any protection and still make money on the deal.

When you get to the point where ads on the page consume vastly more resources than the page you came to see, you begin to want to shut out the ads. There are other reasons too - more than once, viruses have been transmitted by compromised ad networks. It can be a legitimate security measure as a result.

A general rule of thumb I have is that if you couldn't convince people to pay for a subscription for what you're offering, the ads won't cut it either. This is even more important on forums - where the people you're expecting to look at ads and click on ads are actually providing you with content to advertise on.

Ninja ZX-10RR

I *am* a founder of an Indie company so this is definitely my case but also the game I will be releasing (hopefully shortly if my colleague moves his "back" xD) will be free-to-play with some items to be bought with real money (not gonna be a pay-to-win tho, as a gamer I hate it lol) but we wanted to make some money with ads to put lower prices and stuff like that :)
No comment about the ads, mine would be from Altervista and some made by Google itself... So *hopefully* they would be good.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

dimspace

Forcing people to be redirected from your forum to a no-ad block page is a sure way to ensure that they never come back.

There are ways of doing it, on my forum i have a hidden message behind the ads that politely asks to consider turning off ad block software. If the ad is present it appears over the message so you dont see it, if no ad is present then you see the message in place of the ads. Far less intrusive.

But forcing people to leave, quick way to make sure they never come back.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Nice idea, how did you do that? :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Chalky

First of all, most people will just see "Access denied" and close the tab.  As has been said, overriding users' ad-block is a sure fire way to make sure they will never ever visit your site again.  Hell, just the thought of somebody doing that to me has made me so angry I'm thrashing at my keyboard typing this.  Don't do it, or if you do expect your site to die a very sudden death.

Burke ♞ Knight

I seen on another forum, a message that asks people to turn off their ad-blocker... Maybe something like that would be good?

NanoSector

Quote from: Chalky on September 21, 2014, 05:49:55 AM
First of all, most people will just see "Access denied" and close the tab.  As has been said, overriding users' ad-block is a sure fire way to make sure they will never ever visit your site again.  Hell, just the thought of somebody doing that to me has made me so angry I'm thrashing at my keyboard typing this.  Don't do it, or if you do expect your site to die a very sudden death.
^^This. I'm fine with a "Hey, you're using an ad blocker, please don't do that" message, but denying access is a step too far imo and you won't see me coming back anytime soon.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Advertisement: