News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

You've got karma!

Started by live627, June 12, 2014, 02:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

Several people still want to use the karma feature, which was removed from 2.1. Rather than leave those users in the dark (and I don't think they'd like to use the Likes feature (pun unintended), I decided to rebuild it as a mod.

Screenshots attached below.

This mod does not edit any files, partly due to the use of custom profile fields, but also because SMF 2.1 introduces hundreds of new hooks (haven't counted).

Open sourced under the MIT license. Link to project on GitHub: https://github.com/live627/smf-karma

~~~
Win a free cookie (not provided by me) if you can guess the reference in the title!!

CountryLady

Very considerate of you to do that. Way to Go!

Acans

You've got mail.

-.-

It's not SPAM

:D

Or something like that :P. Thanks Live!
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Antes

Okay, this probably will be asked by other people in the future (especially people actively using Karma on their forum), what will happen to existing karma?

First of all we added option NOT to delete karma data from upgrade process so you are safe to upgrade, now question to OP, will your modification converts current data into its own? or just use the existing data?

Thanks for the modification :)

Ninja ZX-10RR

I like this. If I ever upgrade to 2.1 then I think I'm gonna download it :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Dragooon

Oh yay :D. And it's a reference to the AOL mail client's mail notification

live627

Someone younger than me got the old reference :o

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Antes on June 12, 2014, 05:09:33 AM
Okay, this probably will be asked by other people in the future (especially people actively using Karma on their forum), what will happen to existing karma?

First of all we added option NOT to delete karma data from upgrade process so you are safe to upgrade, now question to OP, will your modification converts current data into its own? or just use the existing data?

Thanks for the modification :)
You missed it ;)
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

live627

Ah yes. I'll write a converter soon.

Arantor

It'll take two weeks, amirite? (ba dum tish)

live627

Biology Forums

Why was Karma feature removed?

Arantor

Kindred

and do note, as SMF moves along, We're going to be doing that with several "features"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Arantor on June 12, 2014, 09:20:10 PM
Uncharacteristically I asked the users about it and explained my reasoning in the thread.
There are hundreds of thousands members and 33 people voted  :-\

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

There might be hundreds of thousands of members but they're not all active, nor do they all go into the Chit Chat board. Most members only come here when they need help.

Kindred

besides - we're the ones making the system...   although we consider what the users want, as Arantor has pointed out before, we are also users... and we have ideas on what WE want as well. And with the mod system, removal of a feature like Karma or the Calendar is not an end to the functionality
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Yeah but I don't really consider it a poll with 33 votes anyway D: it's *way* too low. If it was like 100 at least but 33 no .-.
Next time could it be a good idea to make the topic global or something like that? At least a lot more people would vote ;)

Quote from: Kindred on June 12, 2014, 10:05:51 PM
besides - we're the ones making the system...   although we consider what the users want, as Arantor has pointed out before, we are also users... and we have ideas on what WE want as well. And with the mod system, removal of a feature like Karma or the Calendar is not an end to the functionality
Indeed no one ever said you can't vote in your own poll :D

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

Things like the calendar are particularly fiercely debated. There are many communities that do not use one. There are some that do - and invariably the ones that do, also rely on it quite heavily.

Breaking it out of the core has consequences for them. More importantly, it has all kinds of other consequences. It means you absolutely ensure your modding functionality is up to scratch. It has performance consequences. And probably most compelling of all, you can add to its functionality separately from the main core, meaning you can turn around updates to it separately of the forum - adding in functionality that users want without waiting for another major release of SMF.

On the other hand it also encourages doing things previously unheard of. Right now the calendar depends on SMF's posting routine; adding a new calendar entry with a topic ties them together and if so doing, it means every time you view a topic you end up looking for whether or not there's a related calendar entry. This is a non-trivial performance problem.

If you were to decouple calendar events from main posting, you would avoid that performance hit while still being able to do what you want to do with calendar stuff.

Kindred

the poll was offered as a pancea, not a binding agreement.... to get an idea - and the choice was fairly clearly represented.

and, if 33 people voted, then that's 33 people who cared enough to vote...
As for global topics... nope. Those who care can view the development threads and comment - those who don't care enough will take what we make and go from there.

As for the calendar... as arantor says... there are VERY good reasons for decoupling it
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: