SMF forum situation - version 1.13

Started by Flywood, June 13, 2014, 02:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flywood

Hi, I have a situation whereas our website and hosted long time smf forum was recently eliminated due to our host, Art of War Central going out of business. I wasn't notified or aware of this event and wasn't able to download a more current backup of our smf forum. The only backup I have is from 2012. Which is SMF version 1.13. Is it possible through some means to restore our forum or at least the users and index page based on my older backup files?

Thanks in advance.   

Looking

It is possible depending on how good your backup is but I can't believe they don't have upper level backups, you should investigate.

kat

If you have the database from two years back, you could install v1.1.13, again...

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_1-1-13_install.zip

...and use that database. Naturally, though, any members who joined after that won't be there.

If/when you do that, the first thing you ought to do, after the installation, is go to Package Manager and update to v1.1.19, at least.

margarett

The files can be arranged. To you have recent database backups?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Flywood

Hi,

Thanks for all the returns. I tried to install 1.13 AFTER installing the latest. Before I installed it, I deleted the files from the database and I got multiple errors and it wouldn't install. I got frustrated and just created a new database and reinstalled the latest. I guess I could delete the database and use a new name. Then give it a go with the 1.13 installer.

I don't have any recent backups. All our files went bye bye with our host pullin the plug. I did have a backup from 2012. I hope that answers the question by Margarett.

Thank you all..

margarett

It doesn't because your reply is a bit messy :P

1.1.13 is a *very* old version. So of we are going to restore something, let's bring it to the current versions ;) So, forget the 1.1.13 installer if you are to start from scratch. In that case, just to 2.0.7!

You said you deleted the files from the database? What does that mean? Because it can't mean literally that :P

That backup you have from 2012 that you have... That's better than nothing ;) What's inside that backup of yours?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Flywood

Ok I just tried to reinstall version 1.13 .. no go.. I get this error  :o

Line #563: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '(14) /*!40102 NOT NULL default CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP */,' at line 3
Click here to try this step again.

Bruno .. aka - Margarett, the smf folder I have is the complete smf folder from 2012 that I downloaded from our hosting server back then to my computer as a backup. Also, we are talking about two separate databases. The folder and files I downloaded back in 2012, was the complete smf folder and it's contents to my computer from my then webhost's server. My new database is now at my own website. I am tryin to use the smf folder from back in 2012 to restore our forum complete with users back as it was in 2012 on my own servers new database. Can this be even done?

Kindred

I think you are getting confused.

The forum uses a set of files to display and a database to hold all the data.
You need BOTH parts to get the forum working.

If you only backed up the files, then You may be out of luck..

If you have the database backup, then you can restore that back into a MySQL database on your new host... Then upload the 2.0.x files, manually configure settings.php and run upgrade.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Flywood

Well sure I have confusion because I'm not totally sure how to handle the problem. I do have a .sql.gz file dated 11-19-2012 in my smf folder. If that's a copy of the database in relation to the files, then I might not be out of luck. However, I don't know how to install it.

Kindred

You need to import it into a new database on your server... If you have phpmyadmin. Go there and select the import option, me tell it to import that file
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Flywood

mashby

I guess I have to ask this question...how many topics/replies/members did you have after 11-19-2012? I would have to assume quite a bit and all of the stuff after that is likely lost. Is that going to make your situation better or worse? I realize it's already bad, but I'm not certain that backup file will really do all that much for you.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Flywood

Well I actually restored it from 2012. Being that we've have some activity and lost a bunch of posts, its far far better than having to start at square 1. Thanks for everyone's help!  :D  Problem solved..  8)

margarett

Don't forget to update your forum version! If you are still at 1.1.13 you should bring it to 1.1.19 as there are lots of security fixes between those versions ;)

Flywood

I did bring it up to 1.1.19 thank you :D. I did/do however have a few bugs to fix. One theme was not working correctly and I just installed a fresh version. Problem solved. However, for some reason I can't get any of the smileys or any other function to work when posting in our forum. I keep getting a javascript void (0) error at the bottom left corner of the screen while while hovering the cursor over a smiley or to change the color of the font etc.I did install the backup MySql file and then just uploaded the smf folder I had via ftp. Should I have installed it with an installer? I had a few of the old addresses to change (did that manually) but I'm wondering if the smiley issue is because of an address issue. But I don't know where to look. Help would be appreciated and Thank you again in advance for all the help I've received here  8)

margarett

Check the issues with smileys/javascript using default theme.

QuoteI did install the backup MySql file and then just uploaded the smf folder I had via ftp
What do you mean? Did you restore a backup *after* having your forum in 1.1.19?

Flywood

Sorry for the vagueness... ??? The MySql backup file was the installation at the beginning of our forum's recovery. That file was based on version 1.1.13. Once it was up and running again, I updated all the way up to 1.1.19. Which is where it is now. What I was communicating earlier is the method I used to restore the forum into existence on my website after all the files were deleted from our former host. Which was via the MySql - 1.1.13.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will check in the default theme folder - files.

Advertisement: