News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Safe to upgrade to MySQL v5.5?

Started by MobileCS, June 14, 2014, 11:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MobileCS

Is it safe to upgrade to MySQL v5.5 using when SMF v1.1.19?

I plan to keep using PHP v5.3.28 until after I upgrade to SMF 2.x (then upgrade to PHP v5.4)

Acans

Yes, a compatibility issue was fixed for MySQL v5.5 in SMF v1.1.14.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Arantor

Quote from: ѕησω on June 15, 2014, 01:20:58 AM
Yes, a compatibility issue was fixed for MySQL v5.5 in SMF v1.1.14.

Was there? That's news to me. I'd check the changelog but I can't seem to do so at present. The download doesn't seem to work, but the changes from 1.1.13 to 1.1.14 do not relate to database stuff that I can see.

I can see at least 3 issues in 1.1.x pertaining to MySQL 5.5 compatibility that have not - and probably will not - be fixed. Most mods that do database work will have issues with MySQL 5.5, and there are some latent issues that cannot be fixed without major reconstructive surgery.

Kindred

In other words, no,  smf 1.1.x will not run well on MySQL 5.5
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: