Nginx an SMF mods issues

Started by Gn0m3, June 15, 2014, 09:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gn0m3

Hello,
This is my first post on this forum, I own a website with a forum and have been using smf since I started.
Recently I changed from a web hosting to a vps, and changed from apache server to Nginx server.
I discovered that many of the Mods I've always used don't work and I think this is because Nginx doesn't use or support .htaccess.
Below is the list of the mods I use and I can't get working on my new SMF 2.07/Nginx Server:

• Tapatalk SMF 2.0 Plugin
  • Registered Links
  • Social Media Icons
  • MetaTags Modification
  • Pretty URLs
  • cb|GeSHi-mod
  • Ohara YouTube Embed

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue, since I need this mods, and wouldn't like to go back to Apache as the server performance improved drasticaly.

I apologize if this is not the correct section and I would really appreciate any help given.

Best Regards.

Gn0m3

vbgamer45

What happens with some of mods?
I see no reason for a couple of not to work.

Only one is pretty urls using .htaccess I believe but I do have guides in pretty urls to use  Nginx
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Gn0m3

Hello vbgamer45,
Thanks for your response.
Well what happends with the mods is that once I install them they show me nginx  error page with the message not found.
About pretty urls you mention you have a guide. could you please send it to me?

I'm surprised I'm the only one having this kind of issues, is it that everyone uses Apache?
It would great if some SMF Super User, could give some tips on SMF Mods and Nginx.

Best Regards.

Gn0m3

Gn0m3

I'm currentyl trying to convert this:
RewriteBase /foro

# Rules for: actions
RewriteRule ^(activate|admin|announce|attachapprove|buddy|calendar|clock|collapse)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;action=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^(coppa|credits|deletemsg|display|dlattach|editpoll|editpoll2|emailuser)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;action=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^(findmember|groups|help|helpadmin|im|jseditor|jsmodify|jsoption)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;action=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^(lock|lockvoting|login|login2|logout|markasread|mergetopics|mlist)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;action=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^(moderate|modifycat|modifykarma|movetopic|movetopic2|notify|notifyboard|openidreturn)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;action=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^(pm|post|post2|printpage|profile|quotefast|quickmod|quickmod2)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;action=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^(recent|register|register2|reminder|removepoll|removetopic2|reporttm|requestmembers)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;action=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^(restoretopic|search|search2|sendtopic|smstats|suggest|spellcheck|splittopics)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;action=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^(stats|sticky|theme|trackip|about:mozilla|about:unknown|unread|unreadreplies)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;action=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^(verificationcode|viewprofile|vote|viewquery|viewsmfile|who|\.xml|xmlhttp)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;action=$1 [L,QSA]

# Rules for: boards
RewriteRule ^([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;board=$1.0 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([0-9]*)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;board=$1.$2 [L,QSA]

# Rules for: topics
RewriteRule ^([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;board=$1;topic=$2.0 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([0-9]*|msg[0-9]*|new)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;board=$1;topic=$2.$3 [L,QSA]

To nginx, since I had to disable pretty_url from the DB as my smf was not loading.
Could someone help me out with this? I need to know how to convert it and where to put it.

Regards.

Kindred

just out of curiosity, why are you using the prettyurls mod?

it does nothing for SEO at all... and has potential issues interacting with several mods
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gn0m3

Hi Kindred,
I use pretty urls to have more user friendly urls, and for linking is easier.

Regards

Kindred

just FYI... no one ever TYPES the URL... it's either clicking a link or copying/pasting the URL...

but, do as you will.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gn0m3

Well many of our user do type specific urls, that is why we use it.

Do you know how can I fix this?

Regards

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

No because real users copy and paste links, which can give you incidental link juice by having relevant keywords in the link.

Gn0m3

Kindred,
I opened this post, to seek for help, and not to debate on why I should or shouldn't use pretty url.
I've always used it, and is nice to have clean urls instead of a chunk.

Is there anyone who can help me solve this issue?

Regards

Arantor

Well, there is a significant reason for debating; there are *many* side effects to using it, not least compatibility with 2.0.7 and 2.0.8 updates.

I'm fairly sure the dedicated mod's thread actually documents the nginx configuration required.

Gn0m3

Hello ‽,
Thanks for your response.
could you point me to the thread or thread's you mean?

Best Regards.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Gn0m3

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Any idea where should I put the converted .htaccess rules?
Since I've tried and tried and i keep getting the following error:

nginx: [emerg] unknown directive "action=$1"

And I really need Pretty working,

Thanks in advance.

Gn0m3

kat

Did you figure this out, Gn0m3?

Advertisement: