News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Need suggestion for PHP IDE

Started by GreenSage, June 17, 2014, 12:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenSage

Hello All,

I'm currently using a text editor, Notepad++, and would like an option for some sort of IDE for PHP coding now that I'm going to college for programming.

Any recommendations? I'd of course prefer free but I can afford no more then about $100.

Thanks.

kat

Do you need to go the IDE route?

Wouldn't Programmer's Notepad or jEdit do the job just as well?

(Just curious)

Anyway, this seems to be popular. https://netbeans.org

GreenSage

Quote from: K@ on June 17, 2014, 12:41:24 PM
Do you need to go the IDE route?

Wouldn't Programmer's Notepad or jEdit do the job just as well?

(Just curious)

Anyway, this seems to be popular. https://netbeans.org

Well, boss wants something that can compile on a click and something I can show him at any time of the day. Maybe even that would be able to work on a php site cart (future endeavors.)

NanoSector

I personally use Komodo Edit, but they also have an IDE for $89.
http://komodoide.com/

Cross-platform.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

vbgamer45

I like phpDesigner just updates are slow for it.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

GreenSage

Any other tips/suggestions?

I should probably relay my current setup:

I use Notepad++, edit said file then update via Coffee's FreeFTP.

Is there any way I can go about this that is a little more productive or anything? He's giving me until August 1st before I'm literally "stuck" with Notepad++ and FreeFTP lol.

GreenSage

Also, another question.

Is there an FTP client that you know of that once you save something it auto-updates it to the server you're working on? Would be cool if there was, rather then trying to remember what file you're working on.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

NanoSector

Quote from: AriesTiger on July 01, 2014, 05:05:18 PM
Also, another question.

Is there an FTP client that you know of that once you save something it auto-updates it to the server you're working on? Would be cool if there was, rather then trying to remember what file you're working on.
FileZilla does this.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

ValerieCasady

I tried using notepad++ also and it's nice, but my mentor told me to use a standard IDE and she recommended Eclipse.

ziycon

Eclipse with the PDT plugin is very good, you can use it for any language really, I use Eclipse for PHP and Java development with SQL, SVN & GIT plugins, very powerful application and its all free.

青山 素子

I know this topic is super old, but I'd like to also put in my support for phpStorm. I've been using it for some projects, and it works great. It's not really meant for single file things, but if you need an IDE, it really is excellent. Even better is that the company that makes it, JetBrains, offers their software free for students, you just need a .edu e-mail address to apply.

(JetBrains' IDEA Java IDE is the basis of Google's Android Studio.)
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Colin

Can't agree more. They are a great company that supports the nonprofit and education sectors.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

GreenSage

Quote from: Colin on September 29, 2014, 11:32:05 PM
Can't agree more. They are a great company that supports the nonprofit and education sectors.

Sorry, but which product? :) I have stopped my intern position at that company and I program now from home with Notepad++ again lol but I really liked the IDE from NetBeans.

Colin

Colin

clod

I use and suggest Codelobster PHP Edition

TehCraw

I'm in full support of PHPStorm, and all of JetBrains products as well. Integration with PHPUnit, Composer and Git is excellent.
Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. - Martin Fowler

JBlaze

I wish I could justify spending $200 to use PHPStorm, but until then Notepad++ will do
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

ziycon

Quote from: JBlaze on August 26, 2015, 02:18:38 AM
I wish I could justify spending $200 to use PHPStorm, but until then Notepad++ will do
I have a copy and I honestly don't think it's great, I much prefer Netbeans now for pretty much all languages I code in.

NanoSector

Quote from: JBlaze on August 26, 2015, 02:18:38 AM
You can get an open source license. I have one now for a project I work on. Really liking it with object oriented stuff.

Advertisement: