News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

upgrade forum 1.1.19 to latest version

Started by Flywood, June 23, 2014, 11:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flywood

I'm having difficulty locating this patch, "smf_patch_1.1.19_2.0.6.tar.gz" file. Is there a download link? I've searched for it and went to the download upgrades page but have not be able to locate it. My forum was at 1.1.13 and with your recent help, I upgraded to 1.1.19. I also had some recent issues in regards to smileys and other functions. I suspected it was a server side issue and contacted Lunarpages support. They indeed confirmed it is a server side firewall issue and can "whitelist". So, I will need your help with providing the information that they will need. I assume you will already know what they need. Lunarpages support also recommended updating to the latest version of the forum because of possible future similar issues if I upgrade later. 

Thank you for all of your help in advance. I do appreciate it  8)

mashby

QuoteThey indeed confirmed it is a server side firewall issue and can "whitelist". So, I will need your help with providing the information that they will need.
What information are they asking for? That's not entirely clear.

I think it's good if you want to upgrade up to the latest version.
Upgrading SMF
It's a rather simple process, if you've done it before anyway. Do you have a theme installed on 1.1.19? If so, that will go away, but there are plenty of other themes on 2.0.x.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Kindred

do note... that patch is an update form 1.1.18 to 1.1.19 and from 2.0.5 to 2.0.6

it is NOT an patch form 1.1.19 to 2.0.6

There is no patch to do that... the only way to upgrade between actual versions is to follow the "large upgrade" path indicated in the link that Mashby pointed you to...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Flywood

My forum is at 1.1.19. What's a little unclear is that there are step up upgrades for the forums in the 1.1.xx fields and also upgrades in the 2.0.xx fields. Which makes things (by the upgrades themselves and how they are posted) easy to follow in my opinion. What the instructions don't clearly show :o is just what file to use in updating from a 1.1.xx version to 2.0.xx. Do I just download 2.0 to 2.1? and go from there? Even the instructions generate a bit of uncertainty. I'm also concerned about botching the whole forum up and this leads to uncertainty. I can understand why some would choose to remain in a 1.1.19 configuration over the risk of appearing to be stupid. I will however, take that risk..lol.  :laugh:

Note ... I have already backed up my smf folder and downloaded a backup of MySql file.  ;)

Here's a copy of what Lunarpages support send me:

Hello,

I've reviewed the original request and I can confirm that a firewall restriction exists in place for forming outgoing connections and although we can add whitelist rules to it we would need to know either the exact server hostname you've trying to form outbound connections to or the IP's associated with this host.

EDIT: Would this not be simply... "simplemachines.org"?

If you are unaware of this information please inquire about it with the provider of the third party service you're trying to connect to and as soon as you provide us with the information we'll set the needed whitelists.

Also I've noticed that the matters reported are associated with the SMF while the latest SMF version is 2.0.7. Unfortunately any older versions might have compatibility issues and if the functionality is lost or improper we can only address reported issues if the forum is running at latest version.

Best Regards,

Malin Cenusa
Customer Service Representative - Managed Shared Hosting Team
Lunarpages Internet Solutions

mashby

Smileys and the like come directly from YOUR server, not SMF's. Might your host have mod_security enabled? I'm not even sure what that is, but I've seen many other suggestions to have that disabled.

Staying on 1.1.19 isn't an entirely bad option. I often thought I'd be on 1.1.x, but decided to upgrade and it was worth it. 1.1.19 is likely already End of Life in terms of support/upgrades.

Good that you have those files backed up.

Are you considering making the upgrade?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Flywood

Yes I want to upgrade. So, I'll use the "Large Upgrade" file as noted on the downloads page.

Deaks

yes thats the best one to upgrade, keep us updated if you need further help, but please remember to backup ... also your themes and mods may not work on 2.0 due to the difference in coding.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Flywood

I did create a backup. Unfortunately... while running the "upgrade.php" it encountered an error as noted below.. (I got it from the error_log file within the smf folder)

[20-Jun-2014 16:57:57 America/Los_Angeles] PHP Warning:  Module 'timezonedb' already loaded in Unknown on line 0

I'm thinkin this is a server side issue again  ???

Deaks

not a db expert but I would agree with you if I saw that :)
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Angelina Belle

You may have better luck doing your db backup from your hosting account administration panel, either through some "Database backup" link or through phpmyadmin.  You can read
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup for help.

To back up your files, check if your host offers an option from the file manager to create a zip file of an entire directory -- your SMF directory and all of its subdirectories.

Save the db and file backups away so that, if anything goes wrong, you will be able to restart your 1.1.19 database while you look for more answers on how to solve your problems.

Doing the upgrade should be as easy as getting all the SMF files for the new version in  place and running upgrade.php from your browser.  After that, you will have a nice new SMF 2.0.8 forum.
A set of instructions can be found at
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/A_friendly_guide_to_Upgrading

Right now, it is not a good plan to switch your live forum to 2.1 -- lots of testing is still going on.  Wait for the final release.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Kindred

AB...   ???  I'm confused by your response

He took a backup, he already said...   and I don't see him mentioning an upgrade to 2.1...
He's trying to upgrade to 2.0.8

and his error during the upgrade does seem to indicate a host problem
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Angelina Belle

My apologies, Flywood.  I was just not reading this right.

There are a lot of hits about module timezonedb.  If you google it, you may be able  talk to your host about how to fix or work around the problem.

For example: http://board.phpbuilder.com/showthread.php?10389731-Recent-appearance-of-error_log-in-ALL-subdirs-quot-Module-timezonedb-already-loaded-quot
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Flywood

Thank you everyone for all of your great help  8) I'll give it a go!  :)

Deaks

Flywood I marked this as solved for now, if need more help just say and we will unsolve it :)
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Advertisement: