News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[WIP/Public beta] Apocalypse theme

Started by Antechinus, June 25, 2014, 02:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalky

Quote from: Antechinus on January 12, 2015, 06:17:03 PM
Chalky, try this one. Also, turn jQuery on to Google in the theme settings. Hopefully this will make everything except FancyBox work on Apocalypse, but not prevent Fancybox working on other themes.

Not quite  :P

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/chalkcat/public_html/Sources/Subs-FancyBox.php on line 88

Your edited Mentions.php prevents the mention mod from auto-suggesting names as you type, but the rest of the mod appears to still function correctly as far as I can tell.  However the Apocalypse menu is still paralysed on my iPhone....  Fingers crossed for the fancybox fix  :)

Edit:  I have removed the extra parenthesis on line 88 of Subs-FancyBox.php but the Apocalypse menu is still paralysed on iPhone and FancyBox has stopped working on our usual Actualism theme.

Sorry I'm driving you nuts now, aren't I?  :-X  And I'm going to have to go to bed in a minute - work tomorrow  :(

Antechinus

Yeah see the post I just made at your place. :)

Chalky

Quote from: Antechinus on January 12, 2015, 06:28:46 PM
Bugger. Typo in Line 88 due to dodgey mouse. Here.

Ok so it wasn't a missing paren  :P  Tried this file, same result, crippled FancyBox and paralysed menu on iPhone  :(

Antechinus

Go to sleep. I'll play with it on local. :)

Chalky

busterone

I noticed another small glitch in who's online display. I took a screenie of it. 
On the index, it says that there are 5 guests online, when I clicked on it, the who template only displays one of the guests. 

Antechinus

Oh bugger. Well I'll figure that one out later. That's what you get for only being able to rack up one guest on local.

Antechinus

Ok, next version. There are two packs here.

The one most people want is Apocalypse TK2. This is the standard version. It's the last file in the attachments below.

@Chalky: the one you want is Apocalypse CC2, which has tweaks specifically for mods on your site.
You will also want the Chalky_Sources zip, which has an edited Mentions.php to make it check for previously loaded instances of jQuery.

If anyone still wants the trial banner pack, it's back in this post.

I'm not doing a changelog, but this version should be a fair bit better than TK1. Bug reports are welcome.

Note that if your browser cannot handle fixed-positioned elements, and responds with poor scrolling, you can now select a "Scrolling" variant at the right end of the user menu, just below the main menu. Variant selection here is session-dependent, for people who change devices. Permanent variant selection is still available in your profile.

I've also attached those images which seem prone to corruption on extraction. Haven't had a chance to make news ones yet. If any others are noticed, let me know. :)

ETA: Removed the Chalky files to save confusion, since she has them now.

See this post down the page for latest bugfix patches: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=524324.msg3782988#msg3782988

Antechinus

Oops. Forgot the expand and collapse .png versions. I think they get corrupted because they were made by just saving the old gifs as .png. Will look into it.

busterone

Nice work.  :)
I see you eliminated the undefined errors as well. I didn't look to see what you did, but they are gone. The whos online is rocking as it should too.  I have been away all day, so I just checked in and I did have a couple that had mentioned lag errors earlier today. I pointed them to the variants and will see what happens. I never see any lags myself, so it could be on their end as well.

Antechinus

Which reminds me, I did end up ditching the fancy coloured membergroups from Display, Profile, and PM templates because that undefined you were getting started showing up on my local. No idea why it took so long, but at the moment it's something I didn't want to debug.

And I've had a thought about debugging too. I think the theme's markup is 99% there, and any changes are most likely to be CSS only. I might write a small mod package that only inserts a call for a file called custom.css after the call for index.css in index.template.php, and creates that file in .../css. Then any bug fixes can just be added there for the moment, which will prevent sites being turned upside down on a regular basis. That way you'd only want a full update once the thing is stable.

It'd also mean the humungous beast known as index.css could be safely minified, with personal tweaks added to custom.css. Not an original idea, but it's starting to make sense.

Antechinus

Bother. I missed one in PersonalMessage.template.php. I thought I'd got it. :P

Not to worry. Tonight I'll whip up a mod that will do the required edit without the admin having to pig around in the PHP, or overwrite the template. Once this mod is installed you'll be able to delete it from your packages list, since there will never be any need to uninstall it. If you wish to uninstall the theme later, the contents of the template won't affect this.

Antechinus

Ok, patches. These install via your package manager, and will only install to the Apocalypse TK2 theme. Won't touch any other themes, or Sources files.

Once installed, the package can be deleted from your packages list as it will never need to be uninstalled. Check the readme for notes about custom.css.

If there are any question or problems, please ask. Changelog goes like this:

1/ Adds a call for custom.css to index.template.php, just after index.css is called, and creates the new file.

2/ Makes a markup tweak in MessageIndex.template.php, just to make responsive a bit easier.

3/ Fixes the undefined error in PersonalMessage.template.php that I missed earlier today.

4/ Recent.template.php gets the same markup tweak as MessageIndex, but in two places (or three for Chalky) for the same reason.

5/ Fix a minor typo in languages/ThemeStrings.english.php

6/ Add some minor tweaks to index.css to sort out select text colour on iPhone, and a bit of positioning stuff for responsive.

Antechinus

And Chalky found another bug. :D I'll fix this properly in the next patch, but until then you can add this to custom.css (I knew it would come in handy).

@media screen and (max-width: 52em) /* Equates to 800 */
{
#personal_messages {
float: none;
width: auto;
position: static;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}
#personal_messages .poster {
float: left;
width: 42%;
position: relative;
text-align: left;
margin: 0 0 6px 0;
padding: 0;
}
#personal_messages .poster .reset {
position: relative;
}
#personal_messages li.avatar {
position: absolute;
left: -95px;
}
}

@media screen and (max-width: 32em) /* Equates to 480 */
{
#personal_messages .poster {
float: none;
width: auto;
}
}

busterone

Fix is done. No reports of anything out of the ordinary from my end yet.  :)
-except a certain banned member from here that suddenly dropped in after 2 years of absence to attempt to get me to set up some sort gritoadmix that I continually ignore. (He wasn't happy that there is not a main menu link to profile and PMs.) I personally like it the way it is.  I have enough main menu buttons already.   :D

Antechinus

Yeah I figure most people end up with too many buttons, and with the top bar having the profile/pm links, and with all of your posts having them, plus the memberlist and who's online list, there's kinda enough profile and pm links floating around.

They're only hidden via CSS though, so it can easily be reversed. Just add #button_profile, #button_pm {display: inline-block;} to custom.css if you want them back.

Antechinus

Ok, another patch. Same deal: installs via package manager on this theme only.

Quote from: ReadmeGreetings to all masochistic beta testers
This is the Apocalypse_TK2_patch_2 bugfix

index.template.php:
1/ Adds donkey-proof comment re variant names, in case someone messes with them.
2/ Rewrites body id array stuff to include !empty failsafe, and more options.

index.css:
1/ Adds a couple more tweaks for select backgrounds and text colour on Webkit.
2/ Far less convoluted CSS for BBC buttons, now that I'm getting sensible.
3/ Fixes some media query bugs that Chalky found (and clears fixes from custom.css).

To-do list, for next patch: minor bug fix to topics index pages, ditch top/bottom buttons on phones, set top bar to absolute instead of fixed for phones, minor markup revamping in index.template.php.

This mod only installs to Apocalypse TK2. None of your other themes will be touched, nor will any of your Sources files. Once this mod is installed you can delete the package from your packages list since it will never need to be uninstalled.

If you have any questions, ask in [Preview/WIP] Apocalypse theme at SMF.

busterone

Done.  No bugs found here. Things are pretty slow at the site since before the holidays. I am starting to wonder if they all got drunk and thrown in jail.  :P

Antechinus

Could well be. Either that or New Year was one hell of a party and they're still sleeping off the hangover.

busterone

O yeah. Must have been a great party.   :D
My site traffic has been slowly tapering off for the last year, but there is a core group of 20 or so that normally post every day.  Even the core group has been scarce for about 3 to 4 weeks.  I can't complain. The site has survived since 2007, and has had several ups and downs. It will continue. 

Advertisement: