[WIP/Public beta] Apocalypse theme

Started by Antechinus, June 25, 2014, 02:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worldwide7477

I'm using 2.09 smf the theme installed great and the 1st patch went smooth but the 2nd patch will not install here is the pic in my smf any help with this would be great since i finally found a theme i really liked i checked the 3rd patch i did not install it but it did not show any errors so should be good to go for install.

There are no other mods or themes installed as of yet this is a fresh install

suhaneankit

The theme is very good. I am planning to install new SMF with this theme for Historical website. I hope visitor will like it.
7 Steps IRCTC Registration IRCTC Registration in 7 Steps
Check PNR Status IRCTC PNR Status

dingaling

Quote from: Worldwide7477 on February 27, 2015, 11:32:24 PM
I'm using 2.09 smf the theme installed great and the 1st patch went smooth but the 2nd patch will not install here is the pic in my smf any help with this would be great since i finally found a theme i really liked i checked the 3rd patch i did not install it but it did not show any errors so should be good to go for install.

There are no other mods or themes installed as of yet this is a fresh install

I had this problem too, it tried to replace something in custom.css and my custom.css was pretty much empty. So I just ignored the warning and installed the last patch. Seems to work ok.

busterone

The above post got my attention to this topic again. :D   Still using this theme and still loving it. I was just wondering if you had stopped working on it or if there were any updates to come.  As far as I can tell from my forum, there are no issues; I was just curious where you are on it.

Antechinus

I just happened to look in at SMF now, for the first time in ages. Yes, I have stopped working on it. At the moment I don't know if I will start working on it again. I only frequent a few forums, and most of them don't use SMF. Even with the SMF forums, I have no control over what themes any of them run, which means I'm probably not ever going to actually get to use this theme anyway.

Due to the number of things in 2.0.x that I didn't like this turned into more making a fork, or at least a whole lot of mods, than just making a theme. Add to that the annoyance of dealing with cross-browser compat crud on tiny screens that 'll never use either, and can't see live anyway, from my perspective the whole thing becomes a large PITA for little real benefit. To some degree it is an interesting exercise, but I have a lot of other things to do as well.

If I get rained in for weeks when the wet season hits (which can happen here) I may get bored enough to do some more coding then. :D

In the meantime, if anyone wants to take any of the code and run with it, go for it. I won't be offended.

busterone

Quite understandable.  I have no issue using it as it is anyway.  I may play with a bit of the css stuff in the future like I did when you first started on this theme, but I haven't done any tweaking on it even for my own forum in many months.  I may just leave it as it is. I haven't had much drive to do anything on my own sites for so long that it will take something really huge to get me motivated again anyway.    :)

Antechinus

If you want to change anything and have any questions, feel free to buzz me about it.

Antes

QuoteDue to the number of things in 2.0.x that I didn't like this turned into more making a fork, or at least a whole lot of mods, than just making a theme.

list ? :P or are they exist in SMF 2.1 ?

Antechinus

No list. Install it on a test site and take a look through it. :P

TBH I can't remember everything I changed, and would have to look through it all myself. I have no idea what is currently in 2.1 either.

Antechinus

Quote from: Worldwide7477 on February 28, 2015, 11:28:57 AM
Notice this as well:

It's not a problem. The theme is intended to be used with your own banners. If you don't load any banners, you don't get to see them. There's an easy fix for that. ;)

Antechinus

Here ya go Antes, one mod idea. I just had a bit of a play with it today. No idea why, but you get that.

The plan is to ditch the old page index code and substitute a select. This is based on Arantor's old page dropdown mod but with some extra tweaks. I figure that a select gives all the functionality anyone needs, while being far better on phones than the traditional SMF page index. It can save a crapload of code compared to the old way of doing it. Most of the old page index function can be ditched, along with the expanding dots javascript, and along with some superfluous admin settings and a pile of template conditionals.

The select is coded to show you which page you are on, out of how many total pages. Obviously it still has custom previous/next page links each side of the select. Styling is all done with CSS. No weird javascript plugins required.

Ranty is generally cool with me pigging around with his old mod code, so shouldn't be any worries on that score.

Antes

Bloc

*approved*

Really, thats a great feature. I think I have to adopt it lol.

Antechinus

ROFL. Thought you might. :D Don't think it can be done entirely within a standard theme, but if you're installing your themes via pacman it should be easy to sort. Check out Ranty's Page Dropdown mod and maybe ask him about use of the code if you want to do a direct rip. At the moment my WIP version just has this added to the end of the page index function:

if($max_value > $num_per_page) {
$dropdown_url = ($flexible_start ? $base_url : strtr($base_url, array('%' => '%%')) . ';start=');
if(strpos($dropdown_url, '%1$d') === false) {
if(strpos($dropdown_url, 'start=') === false) {
$dropdown_url .= ';start=%1$d';
} else {
$dropdown_url = str_replace('start=', 'start=%1$d', $dropdown_url);
}
}
$base_dropdown = '<div class="hey_try_this"><select onchange="javascript:window.location=(\'' . $dropdown_url . '\').replace(/%1\$d/, this.value);">';
$display_page = 0;
$myPage = ($start / $num_per_page);
for ($counter = 0; $counter < $max_value; $counter += $num_per_page) {
$base_dropdown .= '<option value="' . ($num_per_page * $display_page) . '"';
if($display_page == $myPage) $base_dropdown .= ' selected="selected"';
$base_dropdown .= '>Page ' . ++$display_page;
if($display_page == $myPage + 1) $base_dropdown .= ' of '. sprintf($base_link, $tmpMaxPages, $tmpMaxPages / $num_per_page + 1);
$base_dropdown .= '</option>';
}
$base_dropdown .= '</select></div> &nbsp;';
} else {
$base_dropdown = "";
}

return $base_dropdown . $pageindex;
}

To clean up the selects I just wrap them in a div with hidden overflow, and use a negative right margin on the select to hide the default pointy things. Can be made to look like part of the GUI then, and is easy to do. Extra markup isn't much. Haven't checked it in all browsers yet.

Antechinus

Actually bugger it. I'm going to package this up. Won't take much and it's the weekend. I'll WTFPL it so anyone can do what they like.

Antechinus

Hey idea. I can combine this with tweaks to the next/previous topics links. All it needs is an extra span dropped into div.nextlinks, holding the default $txt['board_topics'], and then it can use the same CSS to style the previous/next topics stuff as well as the page index, which will save on CSS. Also means no hacking of language strings required. Keep those for a11y, and just hide them with text-indent.

Good thing about this is that the new topics stuff will be more compact, so can fit on the same line as the page index even on a 320 wide screen, and will make it clear which previous/next links do what. :)

busterone

LOL, do I detect a bit of a stirring in the creative force here?    :D

Antechinus

Antechinus

Yay! Got the page index thing working with just a select and the previous/next thingies. It gets rid of 60 lines of code from the old page index in Subs. Then I'm adding 30 lines for the select, using luxurious spacing on the formatting, so all up it's about half the code for the same functionality.

Previous/next thingies are extra of course, but they are functionality that wasn't offered originally. They add another 10 lines or so, so all up it's still about 20 lines less code in Subs than the old way of doing it, and has better functionality. Plus some settings can be ditched, and some CSS, and some javascript.

Now I just need to clean up all the WIP crap in the files.

Advertisement: