Board Index Unread Icon Fix

Started by margarett, June 25, 2014, 11:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

margarett

Link to Mod

BoardIndex Unread Icon Fix

'Fixes' the behaviour of the main board read/unread icons.

This mod will cause the main board icons reflect whether there are unread/new topics within the board.
For performance reasons, SMF uses a "lightweight" approach that is enough for most setups. If you're not happy with that, then you should try this ;)

Note: Upon installation of the mod any unread main board icons will remain unread until a formerly read topic becomes unread.

Original author: planet9

Languages:
     - English
     - English UTF8

Changelog

Version 1.0 // 13-06-2014
================================================================================
+ Take over by margarett

Legend:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
! Minor change or bugfix.
+ Feature addition or improvement.
- Feature or option removal.

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Ninja ZX-10RR

O.o I don't get it. What does this thing do exactly? I mean I can read and you stated that it fixes the behaviour but I can't find anything wrong in those icons...
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

margarett

Try this:

Choose a board that has unread topics. You'll see the "new" icon.
Enter the board. Don't read any topic and go back to board index. Now that board has lost the "new" icon, although there are unread posts inside.
This is what this mod fixes ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Ninja ZX-10RR

Aw :D never ever noticed it. Please make sure this will be included in SMF 2.1 it would worth the effort. I'm gonna install it right now :D
Thank you for your explanation as always :D I will report any bug even if I don't think I will see any.

EDIT: Works correctly from what I can see, of course it does - it's yours :P
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

margarett

actually it isn't totally mine :P
Original author is planet9, he's the one to congratulate ;)
I just took over and updated it to be "releasable". It was a much needed modification that was lost in unapproved MODs for small technicalities.
planet9 was kind enough to allow me to take over. Kudos to him ;)

Steve

I assume marking a board read will still work as before?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Burke ♞ Knight

Yes.
This mod only keeps the icons from changing to read when the board is looked at, but messages are not looked at.

Steve

Awesome. Works a treat. :D

I didn't realize there's an admin setting to enable it.
DO NOT pm me for support!

RSI

Hi,

Was this mod added to SMF v2.0.10 or is it still something that needs to be installed separately?

Thanks...

margarett

It hasn't been added (and it won't be) ;)

In order to be sure if there are (or not) unread topics inside a board, a heavy database query is required. For very large board numbers, this might represent a performance hit.
For this reason SMF will keep (IMO, correctly) its more-or-less-accurate version ;)

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: margarett on June 26, 2014, 02:20:18 AM
Try this:

Choose a board that has unread topics. You'll see the "new" icon.
Enter the board. Don't read any topic and go back to board index. Now that board has lost the "new" icon, although there are unread posts inside.
This is what this mod fixes ;)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh well why didn't you say so! *downloads* :D
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Jade Elizabeth

Hmm something's not right....the board icons are stuck on now. I emptied cache and hard refreshed, they don't turn off until I go into the board even though there's no unread.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

margarett

Try to mark all as read. It should give you a fresh start...

Jade Elizabeth

Advertisement: