News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[preview] Helios 2014 theme

Started by Bloc, June 28, 2014, 06:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloc

So due to a discussion earlier this week I sat down and dug out the old Helios files..wondering what I should do with them if I had to make a theme of it. The result is perhaps what you see below. :) Taking into account its been around 10 years after it was first created, I felt I didn't have to change that much really. Improved the graphics of course, and a different layout on content..but the main concept stay the same.

Of course its anything but "flat" or "simple" in its design choices :) ..so its not everyone's cup of tea I guess - but it was fun re-doing it.

EDIT: added a more classic boardindex layout.

Burke ♞ Knight

As stated in your other preview:

Make sure to leave the full SMF copyright in the footer.
We would not want to have people asking if they will still get support for their forum.

Antechinus

Hmm. My initial impression there is that you are trying to mix two completely different design genres, and it isn't really working.

(obviously this is subjective, so ignore it if you're on a roll ;))

Deaks

i like the new graphics, but not sure the hand is best for this theme, tbh I feel the original style images be best albeit updated :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Bloc

Thanks, guys, for the input. :) I am a little reluctant too about the new layout on the content. It might change to a more classic look after all. One thing is the history of this theme lol, that will of course influence its impact visually..for totally new viewers I suspect its more the overall look of non-flat, non-monochrome-colored and defintialy non-SMF-default-look that will decide whether they like it or not hehe. :D

But then again doing these concepts never was about giving people what they (think they) like - but about exploring new possibilities...not a criticism against feedback, I like feedback, but good to know me thinks.

Quote from: Μπράιαν on June 28, 2014, 06:30:47 PM
i like the new graphics, but not sure the hand is best for this theme, tbh I feel the original style images be best albeit updated :)
You mean that image of an hand for the "icon" for each board? Sorry , heh, its a bit misleading since I didn't exchange it for this concept..but its actually supposed to be a feature where admins can choose their own "icons" for each board - its the "new posts" icon to the right of the title that actually tell if a board has new posts or not. The impact of own images will be much nicer than just the illustrative "hand" I've used. ;)

Bloc

Quote from: BurkeKnight on June 28, 2014, 06:07:43 PM
As stated in your other preview:

Make sure to leave the full SMF copyright in the footer.
We would not want to have people asking if they will still get support for their forum.
I already replied to this in the other topic too..but I am tempted to ask(when you actually post it in 2 separate topics), why is so important for you to state this in a "preview" topic? Its not as this is a theme you will be doing support for anyway, its a custom theme and will never be placed on the SMF theme site - so is it just a opportunity to front a personal dislike? I can understand its importance in doing support - but fail to see its relevance in these topics.

Then again... I see you are more involved in this than what meets the(my) eye here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=524506.msg3713979#msg3713979 and http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=524501.msg3713904#msg3713904 . I can relate to that second post/opinion but let me remind you I haven't even RELEASED any of these themes, let alone coded some of them. The issue is also a non-issue really, as you(by the first post I linked) already point users to the theme author instead of solving their problems. Which is quite ok, but then it should be no problem for you to advise users with themes that no longer have support elsewhere - to stop using the themes.

kat

For anyone who might be interested, Bloc's original Helios theme works fine with SMF v2.0.8. :)

At least, it does on mine! :)

Antechinus

Yeah, he rewrote it for 2.0.x. :D The original was 1.1.x only. [/smartass]

Anyway been thinking about this "base theme" stuff myself. Never really themed 2.0.x intensively before now, and god there's a lot of crud in it. Not exactly beginner-friendly. I just threw out 2kb of useless default css by assigning a few default classes to some lists, and a bit of other trimming. Looks just as good.

kat

I wouldn't be without it! :) (Helios)

kat

By the way (Off-topic alert!), I've found a strange browser and I'm quite getting into it.

http://www.lunascape.tv

Deaks

Quote from: Colby67 on June 29, 2014, 05:53:33 AM
Quote from: Μπράιαν on June 28, 2014, 06:30:47 PM
You mean that image of an hand for the "icon" for each board? Sorry , heh, its a bit misleading since I didn't exchange it for this concept..but its actually supposed to be a feature where admins can choose their own "icons" for each board - its the "new posts" icon to the right of the title that actually tell if a board has new posts or not. The impact of own images will be much nicer than just the illustrative "hand" I've used. ;)

Pretty much, and having custom board icons where people can choose is good idea, but their would have to be default ones.  Also the new posts doesnt really fit with teh style :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Bloc

- added a more classic boardindex layout. See first post.

Antechinus

Suits it better IMO, but I still think some of the typography is a bit overpowering for the general style of the theme. It suits the sparse and flat genre, where the typography is the primary feature, but seems to be fighting with the other elements in this one (which are a feature in themselves, and content-first be damned). I can see that you've beefed up the framing to try an give it more oomph against the modern style of typography, but the typography is still winning and the framing can't really be any beefier.

If you want this style of theme you'll be wanting something other than just content anyway, so to my mind it would work better if there was a more even balance between the different elements. I've currently gone right off bold text myself and am concentrating on using font size for emphasis instead. I like this better (at the moment anyway). YMMV. :)

kat

You know... If Bloc saw this, I suspect that he'd wholly approve. :)

Advertisement: