News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Yet another monthly summary

Started by live627, July 01, 2014, 05:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

So now it's summertime, and time for another monthly update.

We've added some features:
Gravatars
Members can specify an email address to use. As admin, you can choose the allowed rating (G, PG, R, X) and a default image to show when an email address has no matching Gravatar.

User-selectable timezones
No more mucking around with hourly offsets.

General theme improvements
Curve2 looks much, much better now, thanks to the resident Evil Black Cat.

SSL and image proxy
Native support for SSL, with an image proxy so you don't get warnings about unsecured images linked by your forum  members.

You can also opt to only allow SSL for authentication (login and sign up).

Other things worth mentioning:
- Alerts system now almost done (it's a complex beast)
- Register got renamed to sign up
- Quick Reply shares the same interface as the full posting screen
- SQLite has been removed
- Tons of fixes

You can see our progress on GitHub, as always. Thanks for reading.

Mikasa

Nice job! :) Are there gonna be any changes to database structure, specifically members database or it will stay as it is right now?

margarett

Nice job everyone ;)

Quote from: Mikasa on July 03, 2014, 03:18:46 AM
Nice job! :) Are there gonna be any changes to database structure, specifically members database or it will stay as it is right now?
I'd say that's anyone's guess at this point ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

NekoJonez

Here is another request for the next version~

Favicon support?
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

Illori

what about favicon support? almost all browsers support picking it up if it exists, so what do you want smf to do?

mashby

Quote from: NekoJonez on July 03, 2014, 04:35:50 AM
Here is another request for the next version~

Favicon support?
Yes. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Irisado

Thanks for posting another update and for the changes.  Great work :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

marcusslavorum

Can we have a option for different forum layout as well in some possible future?

instead of

[profile][post]

to

[profile]
[post]

It eases up a lot in order to have sidebars and such things.

Also on topic great job! Really hyped out that you guys are working that hard on future of SMF!

Kindred

That is a theme thing and you can pick any theme you want...

The default theme will be as the current dev build is working... And we are removing options in many cases where they just complicate issues, so, no... Sidebars will not be an option in the default. ;)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Robert.

marcusslavorum

Quote from: Kindred on July 03, 2014, 12:54:13 PM
That is a theme thing and you can pick any theme you want...

The default theme will be as the current dev build is working... And we are removing options in many cases where they just complicate issues, so, no... Sidebars will not be an option in the default. ;)

Indeed i know it's about the theme. Thought as i am aware, you're developing curve and responsive theme in general so i thought if you include such thing in default all others that will build premium themes will follow the concept on which the default themes are made. Anyway with or without i'm happy for smf. Just even thought smf is a forum software that is great you have to battle wordpress+vanilla popularity which are more and more taking the % of users.
So i would suggest at one point developing some official portal open source addon for blogging/news purpose in order to encourage premium theme makers to work on that as well. I mean i really want smf to succeed, and i think we (i count myself as smf fan and part of community) should go in a direction that general mainstream population of webmasters are looking for, i think that's common logic.

Also is there any at least possible official date of release?

Kindred

Quote from: marcusslavorum on July 04, 2014, 03:17:44 AM
Also is there any at least possible official date of release?

as always - when it is ready
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NekoJonez

Quote from: Illori on July 03, 2014, 05:35:36 AM
what about favicon support? almost all browsers support picking it up if it exists, so what do you want smf to do?
I mean that you can change it yourself.
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

margarett

Just add a favicon.ico to your forum root ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

stmaxx

Did A fresh install on a test site and all is looking good so far, the emulation options, seems to be working great, ( checking some Portals out) looks like, they only have minor errors during install, but do not recommend (security issues with the portals) anyone to install them until they get  fixed and the SMF beta is out. however things are look very nice.

On the theme congrats on that also looks nice.. (I'll start testing custom themes again there :) )!

I say thanks and good going!

regards,
Maxx

shadow82x

Quote from: stmaxx on July 06, 2014, 06:55:08 AM
Did A fresh install on a test site and all is looking good so far, the emulation options, seems to be working great, ( checking some Portals out) looks like, they only have minor errors during install, but do not recommend (security issues with the portals) anyone to install them until they get  fixed and the SMF beta is out. however things are look very nice.

On the theme congrats on that also looks nice.. (I'll start testing custom themes again there :) )!

I say thanks and good going!

regards,
Maxx
Pretty sure every mod will need to be reworked to properly install and function on SMF2.1. It's no surprise you're running into issues with that. :)
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Illori

Quote from: mcblaber on July 06, 2014, 12:29:19 PM
Pretty sure every mod will need to be reworked to properly install and function on SMF2.1. It's no surprise you're running into issues with that. :)

depending on the mod and its coding they may work without issue on 2.1.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

jsx

Are you close to release SMF 2.1 Beta1? Or it's long way for it?

Kindred

it will be released when it is ready -- sorry, but that is all that you get.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: