News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF Multi Forum?

Started by di3f00l, July 02, 2014, 02:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

di3f00l

I hope this is in the correct area, but if it is not feel free to move it.

Hey everyone, I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm trying to work out the details to set up a multi forum built on SMF. When I say multi forum I mean a website consisting of multiple forums - consider forumname1.website.com, forumname2.website.com, etc. I have some specific questions as to what would be possible:

1. Could I get a multi forum set up so that each forum uses the same log in criteria. For example if a user is registered on my website, they can access all member forums.
2. Could a multi forum set up be automated so that users can set up forums and a sub url be generated automatically?
3. Would a server running a multi forum set up (lets say 25 forums) run smoothly or would it be unstable?

How would you set up a multi forum? Would this be difficult?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, has anyone ever used http://smfmulti.com ?

margarett

1) http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3730
2) highly unlikely...
3) no idea, really. Depends on the number of boards per sub-forum and the number of online users.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

hmmmm.....

your first statement is confusing.
There are three mods that do what the split forum mod does...
(one install of the software across multiple sub-domains, with only certain boards showing in each subdomain - but one login)

2- no. Although it can be done (smfforfree did it), it would take some major custom coding. It's never been released as a mod...  and likely neer will be. You're talking host-level stuff, which is way beyond what 99.9999% of the sites want or need. (and, if you are running a host service like, that you will need your own programming team anyway)

3- if you ran it on a fully dedicated server, it might run OK...   but smfforfree has lots of issues....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: