Thoughts on my new memberlist look

Started by Biology Forums, July 02, 2014, 05:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Hey all, I wasn't fond of the tabled version of the original memberlist, so I redid it. I was inspired by how IP Board displays its members. Cool thing about it is that even with an extra small screen or resolution, everything fits well together.

I would have sent you a link to my website, but you need at least one post after registering to see the list in action.

Antechinus

Looks quite nice. You could even use media queries to have two columns on wide screens, and one on smaller screens.

Biology Forums

Thx, Antechinus. This took me roughly five hours to work on - required modifications to both the template file and source file. I'll keep working on it so that it can be used safely on both the mobile theme and the main theme.

Burke ♞ Knight

Looks great! :)

Quote from: Shuban on July 02, 2014, 05:25:50 PM
I would have sent you a link to my website, but you need at least one post after registering to see the list in action.

That's why you make a demo account, and make the required post. ;)

Biology Forums

Thought I'd do the same with the Who's Online list :laugh:

http://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=who

Notice how guest avatars are opaque while member avatars are not...

Any thoughts, please share.

Antechinus

There's another trick you can do (have used it myself) where you change the opacity of the avatar if the member is online or offline. It's a great way to add more calls to the database for less performance in the interest of gratuitous eye candy. :D

Biology Forums

I've seen that before, but how will it add more calls to the database?

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Nice mod Shuban. It really makes your memberlist more cheerful.

Quote from: Antechinus on August 19, 2014, 02:55:30 AM
There's another trick you can do (have used it myself) where you change the opacity of the avatar if the member is online or offline. It's a great way to add more calls to the database for less performance in the interest of gratuitous eye candy. :D

Yes. Like Shuban, I also want to know how is this so because all this time I thought it is a mere css tricks which does not even make a call to database, just css file.

Antechinus

You have to call the db to check if the member is online. Not relevant for the online list, but is for the memberlist (or for Display.template or wherever else you might want to use it).

Oh yeah. That is why. Smart. Thanks for the tip Ant.

Biology Forums

Updated again... Now the letters are on the side, making it mobile-friendly and tablet-friendly.

Always creative and innovative. I like it Shuban.

Biology Forums

Thanks, and it was relatively easy to implement.

DSystem

I like that very much. When we have this mod? (or necessary changes)

Biology Forums

Quote from: DSystem on October 18, 2014, 11:44:51 AM
I like that very much. When we have this mod? (or necessary changes)

You want this as a mod? Thing is, all my changes are SMF 1 based. To me to make this into a mod would mean testing it on SMF 2 which I don't have the time for.

Gwenwyfar

Looks nice :)

Could you share what code you used to add the avatars? I've been wanting to do the same with my memberlist (though the design will be very different from yours as I'll keep the list close to default =P)

QuoteThere's another trick you can do (have used it myself) where you change the opacity of the avatar if the member is online or offline. It's a great way to add more calls to the database for less performance in the interest of gratuitous eye candy.
Couldn't you simply use the same call already in the list? (For the online/offline buttons that come by default). Could even just switch one for the other if that's the case. I like the idea, might add that :)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Biology Forums

To add avatars, follow this:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=775

QuoteI've been wanting to do the same with my memberlist (though the design will be very different from yours as I'll keep the list close to default

I don't mind if you used the same style as mine, in fact it would be flattering ;)

Gwenwyfar

Thanks! Was just an idea until now, hadn't searched on how to do it yet.

QuoteI don't mind if you used the same style as mine, in fact it would be flattering ;)
For the smaller versions of the forum that is a good idea :)

Now that I noticed... your forum has 20 times more pages in the memberlist than mine has in total members, so you're certainly benefiting more from the small design lol (Small community, not planning to become too big). On my case I'll just "merge" certain fields (like avatar/name/now the Antechinus idea with online status) on the same row and add more with the remaining space :P

Edit:
The online/offline avatar is easier to add than I though, just need to use the "$member['online']['text']" that is used for the on/off images as a class name :)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Advertisement: