News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Thoughts on my new memberlist look

Started by Biology Forums, July 02, 2014, 05:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

That was how mine used to be, but I found that a single row with multiple divs is best for all screen sizes, especially small ones found on phones.

Gwenwyfar

It can be both that way. By adding divs for each content type, and making them act the same as a table, side by side with larger sizes, then making then stay under each other at a smaller size, like yours. Might not even need the divs for certain fields.

Edit: Yep, sorting works fine even without a table as it seems :)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Gwenwyfar

Actually, just something I found out recently, but would work well and probably better than the proposed above to make both depending on resolution: Tables can act like normal div elements with display property, as in, table cells acting as any div would...

I honestly never thought about this possibility, just gave it a try and it worked, still weird. I'm wondering whether this was supposed to work like this, didn't find any info so far, might go through the documentation later to see if there's anything of the sort.

Biology Forums

Not sure I'm following... Give me an example.

Gwenwyfar

You can make a table, with all default table stuff, and make every element inside it work just like a div, or whatever.

Since we're talking about memberlist here's an example with mine, this is how it looks if I just set the tds as display: inline-block (it is almost default table that comes with smf).

I'm really not sure this is "working as intended", all I've found while searching are people making divs work like tables, not the other way around. It completely loses the purpose of being a table if you do that, but well, if it is, there's a good solution to some of my problems making things on smf fit on small devices, memberlist included, without changing anything for desktop :P

Also it means certain table limitations are gone with this, like setting some display to tr, and having a table be collapsed for border, you can still round the borders then. Or add margins, etc.

Edit: Hmm, trs do have more limitations on this than tds, they can't be floated or easily aligned with each other like the tds can.

420Connect.co.uk

I really like this way this is looking so far Shuban,
will you be releasing it as a MOD once it's complete?
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

Biology Forums

Quote from: 420connect.info on November 18, 2014, 12:18:50 PM
I really like this way this is looking so far Shuban,
will you be releasing it as a MOD once it's complete?

I don't plan on it, given that I use an older version of SMF (1.x).

But feel free to recreate it. All I've done is change the style (html, CSS), so no PHP is required.

Advertisement: