News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

More logging features

Started by player.samp, July 05, 2014, 12:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

player.samp

Hello.

I think that making a logs for editing a membergroup's permissions (like there is a log for editing membergroup) must be added to the administration log as soon as possible.

In forums with many admins, it is very easy to ****** up the forum by changing the permission and it would be good if there could be a way to find it in the administration log (if it's not found there after the feature has been added then it was probably removed via the database so it will decrease the amount of people, no?), or is there a way to find it?

Kindred

Or maybe rather, you don't hand out admin permissions quite so freely?

I have run a forum for over 10 years now and have never needed this sort of tracking.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

The problem is, you have to draw the line, somewhere. The more things get logged, the slower and slower the site'll run, one would assume.

As Kindred said, the more admins there are, the bigger the chance of a visit by Mr. Fukkup... ;)

radu81

OT: I don't think it's a good idea give admin privileges to your moderators. I usually assign a global moderator with some privileges to Simple Portal articles and blocks, but not full admin
sorry for my bad english

青山 素子

Logging is always good, but at some point you'll run into an issue. You'll start generating so much logging that it will be difficult to sort the important parts from the noise. Additionally, each additional thing to log adds execution time. If you have a busy site or you're logging a common action, things will get slow really quick.

The best solution to this problem isn't more logging. That will only allow you to detect things after they have happened, and admins can clear the logs anyway. What would work best is setting a policy that certain changes are to be avoided unless conditions are met and then doing your best to have administrators that follow those policies. If you make smart use of group owners, global moderators, and local moderators you won't have to give so much power to too many people. A responsive group of two to three people can easily manage a very busy forum if the right policies and structures are put in place.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Joshua Dickerson

I think it makes sense to log every change done in the admin screens. It can help you go back through your own changes to see what might have gone wrong. Obviously only changes and those changes aren't going to amount to much space nor will they require much time. If it's a big deal with logging in a database, you can always make it a flat file which is stupid fast to always append. Also you could use a MyISAM table which is optimized for this. Make it so that you either need another password or database access to clear the log.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

margarett

* margarett considers this a niche feature and welcomes a mod that fills this gap :)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Joshua Dickerson

Problem with a mod is that it could be uninstalled so what's the point of logging?

Burke ♞ Knight

Well, that's why you don't give admin rights to people that may uninstall the tracking mod.

If you feel the need to track everything your "admins" do, then, there's no point in having them as admins.

If you trust them, then do spy on everything they do.

If you don't trust them, get them out of the admin section.

Plain and, pun intended: SIMPLE.

Joshua Dickerson

What if your account is compromised?

Burke ♞ Knight

Well, if your account in compromised, I'm pretty sure enough would already be in the logs, not to warrant adding more to them. :P

Also, if that happens, you more likely wont have the chance to see a blasted LOG, due to the fact the person more likely would have totally messed things up too badly. ;)

Advertisement: