Do custom themes matter to users?

Started by ishy, July 09, 2014, 08:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ishy

At a forum development forum I was on lately, there are people who go around posting that you can't be successful without a custom theme. They even start arguments about it. I'm not talking about not having a custom logo, but having a totally custom design.

Thing is, I'm not sure users care. People who run forums and websites may go around paying attention to that stuff, but I don't think the average user does. Even if they did see that theme elsewhere, I don't think they care if it's used again.

The largest forum I'm on has a stock SMF theme. They've never updated it. They don't offer alternatives. I personally hate their theme, but people still flock there in droves.

So what do you think? Do custom themes make a difference to members?

margarett

I guess it does, but it also depends on the forum subject and its audience.

I was administrator (several years ago) on a forum about Car Audio. A proper theme is a must (all hail Musiconia :P )
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Irisado

To a certain extent, a decent theme can help to draw in potential members, but content is by far the most important factor.  Members will put up with a mediocre theme, providing the forum has excellent content, so my argument would be that it's far more important to have interesting material on any forum.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

kat

For some people, certain colours just don't work, particularly if they have problems with their vision.

My eyes absolutely detest white screens with blue and black type, which is why I absolutely detest the SMF default theme.

The Gods, here, won't pander to my needs. But, you can certainly pander to your member's needs. :)

(I use a custom css, here, to spite them) ;)

Arantor

Quote from: K@ on July 09, 2014, 04:17:29 PM
For some people, certain colours just don't work, particularly if they have problems with their vision.

My eyes absolutely detest white screens with blue and black type, which is why I absolutely detest the SMF default theme.

The Gods, here, won't pander to my needs. But, you can certainly pander to your member's needs. :)

(I use a custom css, here, to spite them) ;)

That would be because SMF's default theme isn't going to be anything significantly different going forward in terms of colour scheme.

kat

It'd be nice to have a dark background/white type option, though. :)

My custom css is dark grey with white text and dark blue text, for links.

I nicked it from "Ancient and rusted".

Nice'n'mellow.

Arantor

Except that escalates maintenance effort and that's already a long running problem with even minor patches.

Bloc

If a custom theme only offers a different look - its of limited interest for users I guess. For the owners it can rather build identity.

On the other hand...if all you ever got was pancakes to dinner, how would you know about things like a good paella or a juicy steak..? Even if SMF default theme is/was made to suit most users as possible, a custom theme different enough to be more than "blue pancakes" (ugh) could be a better user experience.

The problem as I see it, and maybe in part why some just use the default theme, is that its too many colored pancakes and not enough juicy steaks around. :D

kat

Yeah, I realise that, Artist formerly known as Arantor... I've often wondered about someone pulling out the "Discrimination against disabilities" card, though.

If my browser didn't allow me to use custom css files, I'd sure have to spend a lot less time, here.

Here's what my css file does, here.

Arantor

Quote from: K@ on July 09, 2014, 04:51:50 PM
Yeah, I realise that, Artist formerly known as Arantor... I've often wondered about someone pulling out the "Discrimination against disabilities" card, though.

If my browser didn't allow me to use custom css files, I'd sure have to spend a lot less time, here.

The current theme doesn't especially fall afoul of such rules. 2.1's theme is marginally better, contrast is generally good.

You're not the only one that's had to use custom CSS for some sites, but not this one.

kat

Bloc

Quote from: K@ on July 09, 2014, 04:51:50 PM

Here's what my css file does, here.
That color choice is actually harder to read for me..needs more contrast then.

But is your sight such that contrast must be tuned down, that to high actually hurts your eyes? Or is the monitor the reason?

I know NEC monitors often are too bright, after using them for over 3 years at work in full sunshine, its always a relief going to my Eizo in a more subdued light at home, with much less brightness on.

Xarkurai

It can give a good first impression and make more users register to your website (I had people register because they liked the layout).
But I've also seen very simple layouts which a huge amount of members.

So I suppose it depends on how you organize it all.
Useful paid mod: Badge Awards - Award members for actions

kat

When my vision was 20/20, it was OK. But, since it's deteriorated (Age), I have to look more carefully and the white kinda burns my eyes.

ZerK

it depends on the forum  and the people who will use it... mine is mostly for teenagers and it does matter

radu81

I agree with Irisado, I think it's better to focus more on content when starting a forum. Nobody will arrive to your forum from search engines if you have no content but a beautiful template.

I'm not agree using the default theme, there are a lot of good looking templates, free and paid. I don't have knowledge to build a theme from scratch, but I find SMF templates easier to customise than other b boards. And that's a big advantage, even a newbie like me can get a nice looking forum.

Personally I don't like the 2.0 template, but I found the 2.1 much better looking and modern ;)

I usually use SMF on some automotive forums, IMO it does matter, a nice template can make the difference
sorry for my bad english

ishy

The people who have been stalking and commenting mean a fully custom theme - as in no theme offered here. I agree there are some nice templates here, and you can make something look customized to the site through the logo/header. But that's not what they mean.

Comments like: "That theme's free, you shouldn't use it. Free themes make a site look ugly." "Anyone who uses a theme out there already won't get members." Etc.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ZerK

content > theme/design

and its not true that people wont join just because you are using the default or a free theme... also a custom theme wont make them join by itself, the content is the most important part of any website including forums.

ishy

LOL, they probably are idiots.

There's a group of them, though, and they kinda bully new members about it, posting all in a group, to the point that nobody will disagree with them. I have started saying something different, because while I think it's nice to have a fully custom theme, I don't think it's necessary to attract members or customers (a lot of the members have business/support sites).

Advertisement: