Top Banner; Background; unable to access ability to change

Started by anothen, July 10, 2014, 06:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anothen

Greetings SMF Support,
I have recently taken over Administration responsibilities for our forum and I am having to spend time learning all of the details, not only of how SMF operates, but also how Modifications are installed and used.  Please forgive my limited knowledge and experience in administrating SMF.

I have been through all of Administration access, and nearly all of the files and folders searching for the code that enables the top banner and background.  I have found the location of the actual image files, however I cannot seem to find neither the code, nor the Administration ability.

I searched through the FAQ and found: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_change_the_logo

and followed the directions, however I do not have the " .. Login to your forum and go to Admin > Configuration > Current Theme
In the text input labelled Logo image URL:  .."

the input label " Logo image URL " is not there.

I do not need to change it at this time, I just want to make sure I am able to.

The forum needs to be updated from 2.0.7 to 2.0.8 , but before I do, I want to make sure I am familiar with all of the installed modifications and all administrative abilities.

Antechinus

Look for where it says "Current theme" in the menu. Go there. You should see the input on that page (near the top).

You are currently on the manage and install page, which doesn't contain settings for individual themes.

Menu should look like this:

Configuration

Core Features
    Features and Options
    Security and Moderation
    Languages
    Server Settings
    Current Theme

Arantor

From that screen, click on the theme's name and it'll show you the settings for that theme - since logo image URL is an option on each theme individually.

Edit ninja'd

anothen

Okay, I am in the correct page, Configuration/Themes and Layout settings.

and there is not an image or a link for "Theme's Name" and when I click on ".. choose... .." it only takes me to an example of the current theme.

I just checked my experimental SMF at a different host, which was freshly installed, and there are many more options available in the Theme Settings.
I have a feeling that the previous Webmaster may have tinkered around with the code or switched the ability to view the rest of the theme settings.
I don't think it was any of the modifications, I have searched through all of them and none of them seem to have anything to do with the ability to hide theme settings.

Arantor

Oh, my bad. Either do what Antechinus says (go to 'Current theme') or go to Themes and Layout > Theme Settings > pick the name of the theme

The fact you have the 'real tabs for administrator' mod installed is certainly going to confuse things, though you still have all the options, it's just harder to get to sub pages for things.

anothen

Quote from: Antechinus on July 10, 2014, 06:32:11 PM
Look for where it says "Current theme" in the menu. Go there. You should see the input on that page (near the top).

You are currently on the manage and install page, which doesn't contain settings for individual themes.

Menu should look like this:

Configuration

Core Features
    Features and Options
    Security and Moderation
    Languages
    Server Settings
    Current Theme

You are right, it is the manage and install page, the link in the menu " .. Theme's and Layout/Theme's takes me to the same Manage and install page.

anothen

Quote from: ‽ on July 10, 2014, 06:48:18 PM
Oh, my bad. Either do what Antechinus says (go to 'Current theme') or go to Themes and Layout > Theme Settings > pick the name of the theme

The fact you have the 'real tabs for administrator' mod installed is certainly going to confuse things, though you still have all the options, it's just harder to get to sub pages for things.

I agree, and how do I get rid of that 'real tabs for administrator' it's confusing for me, plus I think now it may have a bug in it.

anothen

uninstalled 'real tabs...' and now it works fine.

*whew * thank you

Antechinus

Congratulations on restoring your "real menus for administrators". :D

anothen

I forgot about this thread.  I did a search for "background change" and
found this thread.

Well, I did the upgrade to 2.0.8 and sure enough I have a banner and
background issue.
Originally I did the upgrade package, but there was another bug in the system,
so I did a fresh files install.  This eliminated all errors, however both the
Banner and the Background quit working.  I managed to fix the banner,
however the I cannot seem to resolve the background issue.

The background is a fixed image.  I looked at the CSS in the "Edit Theme;
css; index.css" and found the code for the background and verified that
it correct:
body {

font: 78%/130% "Verdana", "Arial", "Helvetica", sans-serif;
   margin: 0 auto;

height: 100%;
   background-color: #2F446C;
   background-image: url('/assets/graphics/backdrop_1366x768.png');
   background-repeat: no-repeat;
   background-position: top center;
   background-attachment: fixed;
}

However, the background is still using the blue fader (backdrop.png).

btw, shouldn't the fresh files install have changed this file?  or is this
only related to the Themes files?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

anothen

yup, but I found the problem.
It just needed a little sweet talkin'

Advertisement: