News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Exchange for services with advertisers?

Started by dailydc, July 10, 2014, 07:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dailydc

Is it allowable or accepted practice to exchange services with advertisers?

For example, our neighbor runs a very successful forum and they have many advertisers. While at their kids pool party it came up that the pool was free as they did an exchange of services with the advertiser. He built them a pool and they put up his ad for a set time period. I also know they do this with their lawn service too.

So here's the question...is this ok to do??

Thanks!!

Kindred

Sure it is ok. Barter and trade has always been a way to get goods and services.

However, there are always local laws to take into account... For example, in the US, you still need to report that sort of thing as income....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dailydc

Thanks for your reply!!

I agree bartering for goods and services is awesome.  I wasn't sure if that crossed lines in anyway. Funny story as to how I found out that they got free lawn service too (and other stuff) was that I had a landscaping company come out to give us a quote. When the landscaper guy showed up he immediately went bizzerk and kept pointing at their house screaming that they are unethical advertising for people and getting free services and driving him under business. Oh my gosh... it was such a rant.  :o Needless to say I didn't hire him for the lawn work as he really showed his crazy side. But it got me thinking if it was ethical to do what they were doing.

Kindred

I am unsure how anyone can claim that they are unethical...

If they give some service or goods in return for other services or goods, and both parties feel that it is a fair deal....   Anyone outside that deal is just sucking sour grapes.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Kindred, it's the same mentality that convinces people that since the core SMF product is free, so should all plugins and add-ons also be free, forever, and that people should automatically build whatever they want built.

It's people outside that deal and have an inflated sense of entitlement that is being in some way perceived as violated.

dailydc

Kindred...well said "sucking sour grapes" for sure.  ;D

Thanks for your quick response, very helpful!

Advertisement: