Where can I download Webinstall.php

Started by mancunian, July 11, 2014, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mancunian

Hi,

I'm trying to deploy SMF.
I don't see webinstall.php on the downloads page... is there something I'm missing? Is webinstall still available?

thanks
-adam

Arantor

It was removed some time ago. Aside from being flaky, it could leave your installation insecure by default.

mancunian

Alright.

Thank you for the quick resonse

teh_Krall

How come it's listed to use that as 'method 2' in the readme of smf_2-0-9_upgrade.zip?

Arantor

teh_Krall

Quote from: Arantor on December 19, 2014, 03:47:23 AM
Because someone forgot to update it?

I guess so :)

Just seems like if it was removed sometime ago it would be a good idea to remove it from release notes.

I was looking to see how to upgrade from 2.0 to the latest SMF when I read that in the notes and embarked on finding webinstall.php. I found it and was about to use it to upgrade when I read your answer here that it was flaky.

Arantor

It was indeed removed some time ago.

Thing is, if you already got the upgrade package, you already have everything you need to upgrade.

teh_Krall

Quote from: Arantor on December 19, 2014, 04:14:23 AM
It was indeed removed some time ago.

Thing is, if you already got the upgrade package, you already have everything you need to upgrade.

I don't do upgrades often so I'm always nervous of borking up my forums. So webinstall.php looked like a really easy way to make the upgrade happen. Since that's not available any longer I'll look around for some examples of doing it.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Actually, webinstall would have been a bad way for you to upgrade, since it would replace your files with fresh ones - if you're going from any 2.0 version from 2.0.0 up, you can do it without removing your mods.

teh_Krall

Quote from: Arantor on December 19, 2014, 10:57:59 AM
Actually, webinstall would have been a bad way for you to upgrade, since it would replace your files with fresh ones - if you're going from any 2.0 version from 2.0.0 up, you can do it without removing your mods.

Thank you.

I love SMF, it's a great product and the price is unbeatable. It does get confusing with the upgrades though. It says in some instances (install packages) it will do what you just said  above, remove your mods and install a fresh copy. I thought I had to do it that way because some of the mods I'm using might not work.

Kindred

on thew wiki, look under PATCHING...

and no... if you patch, your mods will not be removed.
Only using the "large upgrade" archive/process will do that.
As for compatibility....   almost any mod designed for 2.0.x will work with any other version of 2.0.x
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: