New Membergroup

Started by Dave J, July 12, 2014, 04:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave J

Hi All,

OK the issue I have is that I wanted to create a new membergroup that could not reply to posts. The reason for this is the content of the posts can only be seen by replying to the post and some people have just been leeching our info, so in order to promote a fair system I wanted to create this new group that would allow people to post new posts to show they too can share info for others.

Once they have shown they are willing to participate with us then they can get the 'reply' permission back again.

Ok so I have now created the new membergroup, I set it to

'Group type': Private
'Permission profile'  Standard - (I should point out that I have used all three of these options to get this working)
Then selected the boards.

Now when I go into the 'Inherit Permissions' and then use the 'No- Unique' and start to add the permissions the one I don't add is

'Post replies to topics' -  Own topic: Yes (obviously its a tick) and the 'Any topic:' is left blank.

Now when I create a user to test this and go into the forum and then go to a post, I see the 'Reply' button and if I click on it, it lets me post....so what am I not doing?

I have change the new user's group so that the new group is the only one selected and no additional groups are selected.

Any help as always is greatly appreciated.

Dave
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

ZerK

go to the test user profile using your admin account and check its permissions then check which group gives him that permission.

PD: if you cant find it just add the id of the user here:
index.php?action=profile;area=permissions;u=ID

Illori

is this a post count based group?

Dave J

Quote from: Illori on July 12, 2014, 06:10:26 AM
is this a post count based group?

No it's a newly created group non post count
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Kindred

You don't ADD The permission, nut neither do you DENY the permission.

Remember... Smf permission model is INCLUSIVE.
this means that, if ANY group that the user belongs to has a permissions granted (allowed), then that user has access to that functionality, regardless of any other group which may have the (disallow) setting.

The exception to this is, if you have DENY turned on. Once a usergroup has a permission set to deny, then it becomes exclusive. The functionality is not available, regardless of any allowed settings in Any other group.

So, from your description, it sounds like the general members group, which I assume has reply allowed, is causing your issue with conflict to the specific group.

Your solution?
Turn on the deny ability and then set your special group to deny rather than just disallow.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dave J

Quote from: Kindred on July 12, 2014, 08:44:39 AM
You don't ADD The permission, nut neither do you DENY the permission.

Remember... Smf permission model is INCLUSIVE.
this means that, if ANY group that the user belongs to has a permissions granted (allowed), then that user has access to that functionality, regardless of any other group which may have the (disallow) setting.

The exception to this is, if you have DENY turned on. Once a usergroup has a permission set to deny, then it becomes exclusive. The functionality is not available, regardless of any allowed settings in Any other group.

So, from your description, it sounds like the general members group, which I assume has reply allowed, is causing your issue with conflict to the specific group.

Your solution?
Turn on the deny ability and then set your special group to deny rather than just disallow.

That sounds like a plan...I'll be back.. thanks Kindred

Dave J

Ok that's solves another problem thanks to Kindred.

Thanks to all others who replied.

BTW. 'ZerK' It isn't an individual restriction I'm looking for, at least that's the way I'm reading your reply. I want a group to have the permission to 'reply to others' denied and the option Kindred gave me does exactly that.

ZerK

in the permissions area it says what permissions a user has and what group granted it, there is no such thing as individual permissions in smf. its all groupbased.
i wanted you to check which group was allowing him to reply and deny it in that group, but this is already solved XD

Dave J

Quote from: ZerK on July 12, 2014, 09:35:33 AM
in the permissions area it says what permissions a user has and what group granted it, there is no such thing as individual permissions in smf. its all groupbased.
i wanted you to check which group was allowing him to reply and deny it in that group, but this is already solved XD

Ah I see your point now. Thanks again for the reply.

Advertisement: