News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Request for mod to choose language before registration

Started by Auke, July 14, 2014, 01:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Auke

Do you have a link to it, or otherwise its name and type?

Can't use it if i can't find it. ;)

Arantor

I posted a link in that topic for it. And it's on the front page of the mod site, but it's also available: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3896

Auke

Quote from: ‽ on July 22, 2014, 04:36:37 PM
I posted a link in that topic for it. And it's on the front page of the mod site, but it's also available: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3896

Eh, no, you didn't. That topic is in fact this topic (first page). And except for the link to the 2.1 version you never posted a link here or notified people here that it was approved. Anyway, I'm off to put it on my site now! :)

Arantor

So it's in one of the other links about, I've *definitely* linked it before it was approved.

Auke

Well, at least I got it now.

Unfortunately, it appears not to work? Because I thought margarett's mod might interfere with yours, I first uninstalled hers. I then uploaded yours (all well) and installed it (not a problem). But then I wanted to have a look at it in IE (I do admin work in FireFox and testing in IE so I don't have to log in and out all the time) but all I saw was the default registration page with the next page the Arantor CAPTCHA. I've then uninstalled the Arantor CAPTCHA as well, but now all I got are the default Registration Agreement page and the default CAPTCHA. I also found I lost my favicon and logo in IE while they're still up in FireFox, but that may be unrelated.

I've now also logged out of FireFox, but the situation here is the same; just default pages when trying to register. What have I done wrong?

Edit: the logo and favicon are back (no clue what happened) although the favicon is only there when I'm logged in. But maybe that's normal.

Arantor

1. Did you actually put some questions in?
2. Did you tell it how many questions you wanted? I deliberately moved the number-of-questions thing.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Auke

Partly solved! I had not put questions in yet, so of course the verification page went back to default. :P But I've now put in questions and answers for all 3 languages, but I only get to see the default English (both on the Registration Agreement page and the verification page). Somehow the 'choose language' button is missing. Next tip?

Ah... margarett is m/v. Forgot to check the spear and shield/mirror thing.

Arantor

Um... there's no choose language button. As I pointed out right at the start of all of this, you need a mod for picking languages to kick everything off before the user even begins the registration process.

Auke

Ah, my fault then. Unfortunately, there is no mod yet for chosing language pre-registration for 2.0.8. Which unfortunately means that I can still only use a single language for the verification questions. Let's hope someone will soon make such a mod.

Arantor

Auke

Quote from: ‽ on July 22, 2014, 05:47:27 PM
Um... there's no choose language button. As I pointed out right at the start of all of this, you need a mod for picking languages to kick everything off before the user even begins the registration process.
Just reread the whole thread, but you didn't. Might be that thing you told about a week ago that sometimes you're sure you wrote something while in fact you only thought about writing it. Buit never mind, it's clear now.

Quote from: ‽ on July 22, 2014, 05:54:00 PM
I'm sure several were already pointed out.
This refers to exactly what?

Arantor

Auke

Ah, okay. I thought those mods gave you something in your site that made it easy to change languages but I considered it unnecessary since members can already change the language in the settings. I didn't understand they also make it possible to change the language before you register. Also, I figured that a mod needed to be specifically compatible with 2.0.8 to work in 2.0.8. One of my upcoming questions is in fact what things like '2.0 RC5' mean.

Anyway, I just downloaded Language Drop Down by pasting the URL. Upon installation, all tests are successful except for this one:
1.    Replace    ./Themes/core/index.template.php    Test failed
Would that be problematic? Or shall I just continue with 'Install Now'?

Arantor

2.0 RC5 is a version before 2.0, like a beta version but most of the time it'll still work.

That particular change is to the Core theme. The Core theme is not the default SMF theme in 2.0 - it's the theme from older versions of SMF. If you're not using it, you don't need to worry about that.

Auke

Thank you, that was a very clear answer and exactly what I needed to know!

I just installed Language Drop Down and noticed that it actually makes margarett's mod unnecessary... The only objection that I have is that the button is really small, which might be a problem for people who have visual problems. If only I had understood this before...

Advertisement: