News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Simple topic prefix

Started by Jade Elizabeth, July 14, 2014, 06:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justyne

Well, presumably you'd need an interface to edit all the possible options for each board. You will add a DB entry to store this stuff somewhere. You're changing how post and modify works. You are likely making a distinction here if a post is the first of a thread or not because it only makes sense to edit this in the first post. Otherwise a thread gets tagged multiple times and which one do you display then? You are also changing sorting methods, because presumably you'd want to be able to sort by this tag. Then you have to deal with permissions of being able to edit and use it. Then you're poking around in themes to display it.

I'd say you're not just adding a line in a file but are at least editing 3 or 4 (more if you design it well) ... though the work intensive bit is making an interface for it I think. At least, if you prefer interfaces to be usable and not a clumsy mess.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Jade Elizabeth

No. It's a board setting on modify board for each board, I wanted it to be UBER simple. All I want is a checkbox and a text field and that's it.

When you're modifying a board:
Is it required in this board to pick a prefix? [x]
List prefixes [blah,blah2,blah3]

On posting/modifying a topic:
Select a prefix <drop down with blank, then the 3 listed prefixes>

When posting prefix is part of title. Not separate to it. Nothing else needs to be modified.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Arantor

So let's see how many files need modifying to make this work:

* ManageBoards.php to load/save the settings
* ManageBoards.template.php to show the settings to the user
+ two database columns

* Load.php to actually load the settings for later use
* Post.php (multiple places) to display the setting and let people change it (and bearing in mind you have to split the code between the saving code and the utter mess that is the post display form)

And if you're doing it as 'part of the title' you mean to splice it in to the topic's title so no work is required on saving... good luck with that if you ever have any plans of editing.

This is also compounded in lots of lovely ways when it comes to doing things like preventing the code screwing it up since the same code is used for replies as posts, the fact that editing a topic won't change all the replies that have the same subject... this is why you keep it a separate field in the database normally and load it on demand, which means extra work in MessageIndex.php, MessageIndex.template.php, Display.php, Display.template.php and anywhere else you want to show it like recent, search, unread.

This is why it's never, ever as simple as people believe it is. Everything you have stated relies on multiple assumptions of how things work, and they don't work that way in practice.

Jade Elizabeth

Why do you have to do load? Why not just ask it on post if the value is in the database and what the values are? I know that's not "proper" but it is quick and dirty.

On editing you can do a regedit to check for a prefix that matches. Then you don't need to alter more than a few files.

Quote from: ‽ on July 20, 2014, 08:35:13 AM
This is why it's never, ever as simple as people believe it is. Everything you have stated relies on multiple assumptions of how things work, and they don't work that way in practice.

Well that's why I was asking why it would cost so much more than expected, I didn't want you to get angry I wanted to learn and understand! :)
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

AllanD

I think this is something that should be built into core like Xenforo and MyBB.
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

Arantor

The team have repeatedly asserted they don't want this in the core.

Jade Elizabeth

Am I missing where the mod is? :)

live627

Jade Elizabeth

Oh okay, I have been looking out for it :D. I thought maybe it wasn't showing up cause it was further down the list or something and I was blonde :).

Jade Elizabeth

Am I really blind or is this not out yet? :)

Jade Elizabeth

Burke ♞ Knight

I've not seen it yet, and I actually could use it, too.

Jade Elizabeth

Alanar

Just adding myself to the list of people who really want this mod. :(

Jade Elizabeth

I'm adding my other identity to the list :D

4Kstore

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

waplist

I also want post prefix with css for 2.0.9

Jade Elizabeth

4K your mod looks fantastic! I will have a look at it for sure.

waplist

@4kstore i cant buy your mod cause i am from india and paypal dont work .please help if there any other way i can pay u?

Advertisement: