Who can help finish the smf install, i'm on the run installer part

Started by Yes-U-Can, July 15, 2014, 02:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yes-U-Can

Need a little help to finish the install, basically i want to try out the smf forums, i did all the steps but i am having trouble on the last step or the run the installer step, not sure but i am a bit stuck..
Bullying people is not right, STOP YOUR BULLYING GROW UP AND BE AN ADULT!!!

Yes-U-Can

i see alot of users logged in and many guests but seem i'llbe here all day waiting for help,  :( probably gonna disregard smf but thanks anyway...In another forum site most users were always hidden and always thinking about money.. hope it ain't like that here

Shambles

Most of our members aren't as impatient as you; they appreciate that we are volunteers.

phpBB is that way --------------------->

kat

On top of that...

Quote from: [email protected] on July 15, 2014, 02:15:57 AM
Need a little help to finish the install, basically i want to try out the smf forums, i did all the steps but i am having trouble on the last step or the run the installer step, not sure but i am a bit stuck..

...doesn't give us a lot to work with, as you don't, actually, tell us what problems you're having, other than that "i am having trouble on the last step or the run the installer step".

The more information you can give us, the more likely it'll be that we can help...

Yes-U-Can

Quote from: Shambles on July 15, 2014, 03:34:10 AM
Most of our members aren't as impatient as you; they appreciate that we are volunteers.

phpBB is that way --------------------->

Ok i see we have jumpers on this site too. i think thats  a bad way to start off with a newbie, it's usually people who do that are people who have been  a member for a while, i wouldn't do that to you in any way.

margarett

Bumping your topic within 40 minutes is also a bad way for a newbie to start off ;)

Now that we fixed our differences :P can you please help us helping you? ;)
Quote from: K@ on July 15, 2014, 05:24:40 AM

...doesn't give us a lot to work with, as you don't, actually, tell us what problems you're having, other than that "i am having trouble on the last step or the run the installer step".

The more information you can give us, the more likely it'll be that we can help...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Yes-U-Can

Quote from: margarett on July 15, 2014, 01:50:03 PM
Bumping your topic within 40 minutes is also a bad way for a newbie to start off ;)

Now that we fixed our differences :P can you please help us helping you? ;)
Quote from: K@ on July 15, 2014, 05:24:40 AM

Not sure what you mean margarette but i thought this was a nice helping hand around here as that what it states that we would even get help n installation which i really got that part wrong!!! I also saw you tell a user you don't have to answer questions any emails for messages they sent you, isn't that a bit off not wanting to answer them as its actually very easy to reply which always helps people in need? No offense ,,,all i see thus far is more attacks on a newbie like me, Why would you even do that?

Yes-U-Can

I think this forum or this smf was terribly not what i was expecting from the old users here, my error and i apologize for coming here.

margarett

I'm pretty sure you are confusing me with someone else. Very few people here have access to my email address so it's really difficult I said that.

Anyway, I *AM* trying to help you. I am NOT attacking you, I was even trying to be funny. Yet you are extremely defensive on me.
Can you PLEASE let us know what error you are having? Maybe a printscreen?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Yes-U-Can

Quote from: margarett on July 15, 2014, 02:00:12 PM
I'm pretty sure you are confusing me with someone else. Very few people here have access to my email address so it's really difficult I said that.

Anyway, I *AM* trying to help you. I am NOT attacking you, I was even trying to be funny. Yet you are extremely defensive on me.
Can you PLEASE let us know what error you are having? Maybe a printscreen?

NO i thank you dearly, i just can't after all the few minutes you guys treated me its just not right , i'll just wait in hopes someone will help me out of his good heart not out of bullying a newbie...It's good to know who the bad  ones are though  :-[ :( Thanks for everything

margarett

I honestly don't know what you mean...

You had 2 Support team members asking you for details on the error you are having so that we can understand what your problem is. And yet you are defensive. And you still didn't provide us the actual error you are having.

For the last time: I am *NOT* attacking you, never have been. YOU were attacking me
QuoteI also saw you tell a user you don't have to answer questions any emails for messages they sent you,
Can you point me to this? Are you sure it was me?
QuoteIt's good to know who the bad  ones are though
Have you searched my support posts and the way I usually "talk" to users? Do you see a harsh pattern in those? Again, are you sure it was me?

And yet I am almost begging you to allow me to help you...

Yes-U-Can

I did the database name , no problem , i did the username  & password, i did extract files and uploaded them to server already and thats fairly easy not much of a problem there,,, i do see the Settings .php file, what do i add there as i do see some of the mentioned there i think i'm on the right spot , but then again the installation help is not precise to ME.

* I'm on the last steps of run installer..
*Which is the run installer?
* What do i rename?
* Which file?
*How do i get the url link?

Can someone guide me where i am wrong? Thanks in advance

kat

You've navigated your browser to your site name .install.php?

http://www.yourforum.com/install.php

Here's a different guide to installing:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/A_friendly_guide_to_installing_SMF

It's a bit easier to follow, I believe.

Yes-U-Can

Quote from: K@ on July 15, 2014, 05:01:08 PM

Ok. let me check it really quick , hope i can understand it ::) Thanks K@

Yes-U-Can

Quote from: K@ on July 15, 2014, 05:01:08 PM

Thanks K@ i got it squared away ,all set thanks again for them links. happy camper ,camping happy  :D
contributing to the SMF cause. Thanks again

Kindred

Welcome to smf...  I am glad that you were able to solve your issue and that you are happy with the software... There are a few things that you need to take into account , however.

1- bumping posts, in less than 24 hours is basically considered demanding a response and is rude. We are all volunteers, both in the community and the staff. We have lives, other jobs and do not spend all out lives on the forum here... (Even though it may seem that way). This is not a real time support site.   So, post your questions, but be prepared to possibly wait some time before someone can/will answer.

2- do not open a second thread about the same topic just because you did not like the tone of the responses in the first thread.

3- when someone is trying to help you, and is asking for more information, it is usually helpful to respond with the information that they have requested...   We do this a lot.., and we usually ask for information because we need to know it, not because we are giving you a hard time.

4- most of the staff have signatures or auto responses which say "do not email, IM or PM me for support" that is because we provide support in the boards on this forum.  We don't have the time or inclination to provide support via other means. Additionally, when a problem is described and solved on the forum, others can benefit by that answer, if they ever have a similar problem (assuming they bother to search)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Yes-U-Can

How can i write my own signature it should help as well?

Arantor

From your profile > forum profile area.

However, putting in something to remind people that you're new to SMF won't significantly improve the quality of support you might receive. People that come here do so in their spare time and *choose* what they're going to offer to do. And that means wading through a lot of hassle to try to help people.

Yes-U-Can

Quote from: ‽ on July 15, 2014, 07:37:54 PM
From your profile > forum profile area.

However, putting in something to remind people that you're new to SMF won't significantly improve the quality of support you might receive. People that come here do so in their spare time and *choose* what they're going to offer to do. And that means wading through a lot of hassle to try to help people.
I think that would be great to add in the Need help section it should help ALOT  to newbies like O:).. "People that come here do so in their spare time and *choose* what they're going to offer to do." Thanks for your words

Arantor

Why? Most people don't bother to read it anyway, seeing how the stickies also provide thoughts on how best to get help and 99% of topics don't contain that information.

Advertisement: