News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Database Server Settings - Critical Error

Started by nadyaramlan, July 16, 2014, 01:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nadyaramlan

Hello! I tried to install SMF for WP and I got this message when I'm at Database settings

!!Critical Error!
Cannot connect to the database server with the supplied data.
If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysqld.sock' (2)

I tried database info, as well as FTP server. Also checked with my web programmer and she had no clue, either.
Can someone please help?

Thanks.

Kindred

Do you have a clean and working installation of SMF first?

if not - do so.
if so - you would have to ask the author of the SMF for WP add-on, because we have not built nor do we support it...

Sorry...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

to me it looks like an issue for your host as you have not successfully installed any app that requires a database.

nadyaramlan

Thanks, how do we check that? I believe it's a clean and working installation, but how can I confirm that?

Kindred

can you access SMF without having anything to do with wordpress?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

nadyaramlan

Yes, I can access into the forum without WP (site by itself).
Do we need to link forum with WP? If not, maybe I just use that link for people to sign up - will that work?

Kindred

well, since the forum works, you have a couple of choices.
which one you choose depends on your situation.

1- why are you using WordPress and SMF? What is the intention of your site?   
     If it is primarily a blog, then WordPress is fine, go to #2.
     If it primarily a forum/community, then go to #4.

2- Do you need to integrate the two?  Does your WordPress require login for general users?
     If yes - users need to be the same/linked in both WordPress and SMF then go to #3.
     If no - most users will be reading but not logging into WordPress, then go to #5.

3- Talk to the author of the WordPress/SMF plugin.  As I indicated - we didn't write it and we don't support it here because we have no idea what it actually does.

4- If your site is primarily a forum or community site, then why bother with WordPress at all?
     Use SMF with one of the portal mods along with other mods to create a fully integrated community site using only SMF.

5- check #4 to be sure... but if you really still need WordPress and don't need integrated logins, then yes... you can turn off registration in WordPress and add a link directing people to the SMF registration page.
Слaва
Украинi

nadyaramlan

Ideally, we want to make a dedicated page (in our WP site) so it can be named properly like hxxp:abc.com/forums [nonactive]
The one we have right now is kinda wonky. Is there a place where we can rename the site? That way we can just point directly from WP.

Thanks much for your help.

Kindred

if all that you are doing is using WordPress as a front page, then you really should just use SMF with a front page or SMF with a portal (both types of mods are available)

You can move the forum around if you need to (repair_settings.php allows resetting the paths and urls --  read the wiki)
or you can leave it in /forums and use htaccess to bounce hits to the main domain into the forum directory.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: