New to smf (need help badly)

Started by machawk, July 16, 2014, 03:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

machawk

Quote from: ‽ on July 19, 2014, 12:24:51 AM
So when you tried to use the SMF installation, what details did you put in to the installer? It asks you for a database name, database user and password. What did you tell it?
the database user and password? i put a name there like "smf" etc and left the password blank it didmt work, then i left both blank and still didnt work

Arantor

Well, no, of course it won't since this is not a database user set up with the database. As I said before, use 'root' as the database user and blank for the password (leave it empty)

machawk

Quote from: ‽ on July 19, 2014, 01:01:45 AM
Well, no, of course it won't since this is not a database user set up with the database. As I said before, use 'root' as the database user and blank for the password (leave it empty)
okay. i will do that and get back to you shortly.

machawk

viola! it worked. just made "root" the username and it work. thanks mehn. really greaful. next step is customizing d smf forum to my design. eg changing appearances, adding more boards,adding forum logo etc. any help with that?

hope. i'm not asking for too much?

Justyne

Don't worry we are happy to answer questions and when you get stuck with anything. Don't hesitate to be in touch.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

machawk

thanks pal. I'm stuck at creating a new category. I want more categories under my "general discussion" but whenever i create one it doesnt show beneath the "general discussion" what could be the problem?
ps: i created the category via my admin sections

Justyne

When you are on the create category screen hit the "order" dropdown. Be sure to put After General Discussion there and not In the first place.

Arantor

Also note that categories won't show up on the front page with all the boards on it until you put a board in it.

machawk

Arantor

Admin > Forum > Boards, find the category you want, and select Add Board just under it.

machawk

thanks. that solve it. great mehn! you guys are just so great! you are solving problems here and there. i'm also taking my time to learn all i could as i wana provid answers to people to.

since i'm test runing my forum. i decided to attach a picture on a post a created but i cant view as guest. why? how can i solve that?

Arantor

Because by default, attachments are not shown to guests.

It's not generally recommended (since search engines are also listed as guests, which means a non-trivial addition of workload gets added), but it can be changed by changing the permission for guests in the permissions area.

machawk

yeah! that solved it! now i want to change the colour with a background image. i also want to add my logo at the top

machawk

i also want to remove this  from my home screen:

Simple Machines Community Forum
Shrink or expand the header.

Home
    Community
    Download
    Customize
    Support
    Online Manual
    About
    Contribute
    Development

Justyne

Admin > Configuration > Themes and Layout Settings > Manage and Install

Scroll down and create new copy of the default theme.

Make this copy your forum default.

When you have that:

Current theme > Modify the stylesheets. (colors, fonts, etc.)

When you have that find

body
{

And put in your background image there after the open bracket.

background: url(../image path);

The logo:

Admin > Configuration > Current theme >  Theme Options and Preferences

Just put the logo URL in there.

Kindred

And that menu would not be on your own home screen, since that is specific to this site...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

machawk

QuoteScroll down and create new copy of the default theme.

i cant find that option of create new copy of default theme here

machawk

I'VE done that. I just patiently looked around and found it lying at the scrow down menu at the bottom of the "modify theme" section . I'm happy at my progress mehnnn. thnks buds. i can do some basic modifications. Now i see myself editing some css,html and scripts. damn it! my programing skills are rustier than i had thought!   

Justyne

Glad you found it. Sorry, for not responding sooner. I didn't see you'd updated.

machawk

yeah. now i'm trying to add a logo. i followed ur steps but my logo didnt show up there but i notice a change. "my community" became smaller. what can i do?

Advertisement: