To blog or not to blog . . . That is a question?

Started by rexall9000, July 16, 2014, 07:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forum blogs . . . To blog or not to blog???

Nice enhancement, very useful & popular?
1 (25%)
Nice but not necessary?
1 (25%)
Neutral?
2 (50%)
Bloated distraction that bleeds posts awary form the forum?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

rexall9000

Thu 17 Jul 2014, 6:46 am

Good Morning All,

I am not sure where to post this.  Does anyone use this blog mod or a similar one?  Whaddaya think?
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=793

I am hoping for some discussion on the whole issue of forum blogs.  Do you use them?  Are they a useful, popular enhancement or a bloated distraction?  My concern is similar to the complaint that some have made  about shoutboxes; members begin using the shoutbox and stop posting on the forum.

Are blogs overkill?  Distraction?  Useful, popular enhancement?

Looking forward to some interesting discussion.

Thanks.

Justyne

it kinda depends on what your community is like and what you want out of it.

If you are mostly a forum and your blogs are say only text and few images you might as well set up a board, call it blog and threat each topic in there as a blog entry. You can adjust permissions so only certain people can start new topics there etc.

If you have pretty photo journalism stuff to show off and nice presentation of the blog content is an integral part of your community it might make sense.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

You are asking for SEO nightmares trying to integrate blogs and forums and still have it balance out, I am just attempting to warn you especially if you have a lot of other mods installed on the SMF side as well...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

rexall9000

Thanks, Bob.  That is the kind of feedback I am looking for.  Ultimately, I will make my own decision, of course, but based on all the available opinions.

Arantor

If you want decent advice, providing more context will be useful. As already outlined, certain kinds of forum don't lend themselves to blogs.

rexall9000

Thu 17 Jul 2014, 11:34 am

Thanks, Legend!  However, I think my questions were pretty clear and succinct, nothing that requires a "context" in order to answer intelligently.  I have five SMF forums, different flavors and purposes.  I am sure it would be boring to belabor all of that here.  However, as you raised the question, would you care to elaborate on your comment that certain types of forums don't lend themselves to blogs?  Do you use 'em?  Which types of forums would you never blog on and which would be good ones?

Tks

Aloha,

Rex

Justyne

Quote from: rexall9000 on July 17, 2014, 12:37:44 AM
Thu 17 Jul 2014, 11:34 am

Thanks, Legend!  However, I think my questions were pretty clear and succinct, nothing that requires a "context" in order to answer intelligently.  I have five SMF forums, different flavors and purposes.  I am sure it would be boring to belabor all of that here.  However, as you raised the question, would you care to elaborate on your comment that certain types of forums don't lend themselves to blogs?  Do you use 'em?  Which types of forums would you never blog on and which would be good ones?

Tks

Aloha,

Rex

You just want to shift the work to the people taking time to answer the question. Sure, we could type an exhausting list of all situations possible and it would take away valuable time in which we could support people with more pressing issues or you could actually tell us what you are up to and we can give you some quick advice based on that. Hate to say it, but if you want help, but a handful of effort into giving your question context.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

rexall9000

I wasn't asking for "advice," thank you very much.  My questions were succinct and specific, I think.  If you feel the questions are not worthy, that's fine, no need to answer them. It's hardly the end of the world.

Arantor

Quote from: rexall9000 on July 17, 2014, 02:12:11 AM
I wasn't asking for "advice," thank you very much.  My questions were succinct and specific, I think.  If you feel the questions are not worthy, that's fine, no need to answer them. It's hardly the end of the world.

No, they weren't specific, that's the problem.

Forum blogs work for some kinds of community and will drastically not work for others. Trying to answer 'are they a good idea' is like saying 'is buying a small car a good idea' - for some people it will be, for some people it won't be, but without some idea of who the target is, you cannot give a meaningful answer.

I've lost count of how many forums I've been a part of over the years but I can only think of a tiny handful of cases where blogs either would have, or did, improve the experience for users. If you want a general answer, my answer is 'maybe'. If you want something more useful than 'maybe', context for what your site is about is essential to getting a meaningful answer.

rexall9000

I am just replying so that I can uncheck "Notify me of replies."

Arantor

Aside from the fact you could have done that from your profile, I'm sorry that you feel this is unhelpful. I would respectfully suggest you don't use SMF, because if you ever need support, people wanting what they see as relevant information to help you is going to be a recurring theme.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: ‽ on July 17, 2014, 07:13:51 AM
Aside from the fact you could have done that from your profile, I'm sorry that you feel this is unhelpful. I would respectfully suggest you don't use SMF, because if you ever need support, people wanting what they see as relevant information to help you is going to be a recurring theme.
Immense quote for this and for
Quote from: Justyne on July 17, 2014, 01:51:20 AM
You just want to shift the work to the people taking time to answer the question. Sure, we could type an exhausting list of all situations possible and it would take away valuable time in which we could support people with more pressing issues or you could actually tell us what you are up to and we can give you some quick advice based on that. Hate to say it, but if you want help, but a handful of effort into giving your question context.
this.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: