News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Typo in Registration Agreement

Started by Auke, July 18, 2014, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke

I just noticed there's a double space in the default English Registration Agreement: 4th paragraph, between "for any reason." and "We also HIGHLY".

shadow82x

Indeed it is a typo. Good eye on picking that up, don't think most people would.

Filed - https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/2066

Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Auke

Just found a similar issue in the French Accord d'inscription.

In the French version of the Registration Agreement there are 17 double spaces. They are all behing end-of-sentence dots, so it could just be a French habit of placing a double space before starting another sentence. However, there are also 4 end-of-sentence dots with just a single space before the next sentence. I'd say make it all double or none double.

Auke

And some more in the English version:

- Second paragraph, second sentence: in the phrase "messages, and as such, are" the first comma should not be placed after 'messages'  but after 'and'.
- Second paragraph, seventh sentence: the phrase "This is a manual process, however, please realize that they" is somewhat odd. I would propose to change it into "This is a manual process however, so please realize (that) they" (first comma removed, 'so' added, I consider 'that' optional).

Justyne

The comma really ought to be there on your last point. However is an injection.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Auke

And a bunch for the Dutch version:

- First paragraph, first sentence: comma in "forum, ga" should be removed;

- Second paragraph, fourth sentence: the phrase "de mening van het lid dat ze heeft geplaatst uit, en niet noodzakelijk de" would best be changed into "de mening uit van het lid dat ze heeft geplaatst en niet noodzakelijkerwijs de" (location change of 'uit', removal of comma, change of 'noodzakelijk' into 'noodzakelijkerwijs';

- Second paragraph, fifth sentence: comma in "bericht, wordt" should best be removed;

- Fourth paragraph, third sentence: comma in "registreert, niet" should also best be removed;

- Fifth paragraph, first sentence: "Nadat" must be changed in "Na" (or the whole first part of the sentence must be rephrased: "Nadat je bent geregistreerd en ingelogd op dit forum";

- Fifth paragraph, first sentence: comma in "forum, zul" should be removed;

- Fifth paragraph, second sentence: "proper" is more Flemish than Dutch. I propose to change this into "netjes";

- Sixth paragraph, first sentence: comma in "opgeslagen, voor" should also be removed;

- Seventh paragraph, first sentence: "zoals bijvoorbeeld" is double as in "for example like". Either one of these two words should be removed.

My French is not sufficient to comment the French version as well, although I would like to mention that in the first paragraph I find the reference tot the USA in this version rather odd, since very few French speakers will be under USA law. I would (for all versions) rather say something like "international law or law of the country in which you are presently residing".

Auke

Quote from: Justyne on July 23, 2014, 02:48:10 PM
The comma really ought to be there on your last point. However is an injection.

Okay, I guess you're right, but either version is cripple without the word 'so' or something similar.

Irisado

Quote from: Auke on July 23, 2014, 02:32:15 PM
And some more in the English version:

- Second paragraph, second sentence: in the phrase "messages, and as such, are" the first comma should not be placed after 'messages'  but after 'and'.
- Second paragraph, seventh sentence: the phrase "This is a manual process, however, please realize that they" is somewhat odd. I would propose to change it into "This is a manual process however, so please realize (that) they" (first comma removed, 'so' added, I consider 'that' optional).

There's no problem with and as such with the commas as they are, as commas before and are permissible.  Your alternative would also be acceptable, but either option works, so it's not a mistake, just different.

The second issue just requires 'so' to be added as you suggest.  Both the comma before 'however' and 'that' should remain.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Auke

Quote from: Irisado on July 23, 2014, 03:22:28 PM
Quote from: Auke on July 23, 2014, 02:32:15 PM

as commas before and are permissible.

I'm aware of that. The fragment I quoted is actually a bit short. When you see the whole sentence, it becomes clear there's something wrong with the location of this specific comma.

Anyway, I'm just letting you know. It's up to you what you do with it. :)

Arantor

Quote from: Auke on July 23, 2014, 06:49:19 PM
Anyway, I'm just letting you know. It's up to you what you do with it. :)

OT: My life would be so much simpler if I could hold to that policy *laughs*

Advertisement: