News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

View recent content in a view by topic

Started by 19eighties, July 18, 2014, 02:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19eighties

Is there a way to view recent topics throughout the SMF forum regardless of whether or not they are new to the user? I am familiar with "view new posts" or "new content" links in phpBB, IPB and proboards, where you get a list of all forum topics with most recent ones first, showing if you have read new posts in them and it would still list topics where all posts have been read. I would like to add a link to the top navigation menu in my forum to go to this type of view.

Arantor

There's the list of recent posts - index.php?action=recent - but that's only posts, not topics. There is no built in way to list the last x topics forumwide at present.

19eighties

Thanks, I was wondering if I missed something obvious.

Hmm, these were the two links I found that are similar to what I'm looking for, but not as ideal. The second one is weird in that it only shows new topics that were never read. If there were updates and it has been read, it will not appear. Is there a way I can tweak the code so it at least shows posts with new content? Where are these actions handled in the scripts?

index.php?action=recent

index.php?action=unread;all;c=1;start=0

Arantor

The second link is ones you haven't read hence action=unread, though in your case it's unread in category 1 only.

Rewriting the code in the way you're hoping is a truly massive undertaking since the unread (and unreadreplies) code is truly complicated.

19eighties

Thanks for pointing that out (c=1), what would be the best unread topic link to provide? This?

?action=unread;all;start=0

Arantor

Yeah, that works. All you *need* is ?action=unread;all, you don't need the start=0 part.

19eighties

Advertisement: