Discrepancy in Moderation Settings 2.0.8 ?

Started by Auke, July 18, 2014, 04:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke

The options in the actual Moderation Settings in 2.0.8 (Configuration -> Security and Moderation -> Moderation) appear to be different from the ones in the explanatory text (the stuff you see by clicking te question mark).

Illori

please report issues you see in smf in the bug reporting board instead of here.

this has been changed in 2.1 already.

Arantor

Wait, someone actually clicked on the ? icons outside of a random testing context? There's a novelty.

Auke

Quote from: Illori on July 18, 2014, 04:22:15 PM
please report issues you see in smf in the bug reporting board instead of here.

Okay, sorry you had to replace this. I just thought that a textual issue would not qualify as a bug (I thought those were either programming errors or animals with either 0 or 4+ legs). Maybe change this board title?

Quote from: ‽ on July 18, 2014, 04:27:50 PM
Wait, someone actually clicked on the ? icons outside of a random testing context? There's a novelty.

I was actually looking for an interrobang to click on, but a question mark was the closest I could find. ;)

Auke

Arantor

Except this is the board for "Fixed or Bogus" bugs, which the resting place of bugs after either having been found to be non-bugs or squished good and proper.

As for the (?) icons, you're genuinely one of the few people that has ever actually clicked on them. Most people don't.

Illori

Quote from: ‽ on July 18, 2014, 04:54:31 PM
Except this is the board for "Fixed or Bogus" bugs, which the resting place of bugs after either having been found to be non-bugs or squished good and proper.

this was moved from the doc helpers board.

Arantor

Oh, right. I won't go in there any more after seeing the way you guys run the show. This isn't a bug, it's a documentation issue since it's in-software documentation but you will do what you see fit, I guess.

Auke

Quote from: ‽ on July 18, 2014, 04:54:31 PM
As for the (?) icons, you're genuinely one of the few people that has ever actually clicked on them. Most people don't.

My understanding of computers is mostly limited to the basic use of Word, Excel and websurfing. Building websites is something that I, frankly, really don't want to do. It's just that there's a subject that in my opinion desperately needs a forum or at least a platform. And if noone else creates it, I guess I got to do it. Since I'm now swamped with all kinds of stuff I don't know anything about, I have to click those question marks to at least make me comprehend something. If you'd like an unpaid side-job as an administrator please let me know... :P

Arantor

QuoteI have to click those question marks to at least make me comprehend something

You are awesome. I wish more of our users were like you.

QuoteIf you'd like an unpaid side-job as an administrator please let me know...

I am curiously afraid of bugs of the insect kind. But if you have any questions please do ask them here. Someone here is going to know the answer, guaranteed.

Irisado

Quote from: ‽ on July 18, 2014, 05:15:58 PM
Oh, right. I won't go in there any more after seeing the way you guys run the show. This isn't a bug, it's a documentation issue since it's in-software documentation but you will do what you see fit, I guess.

Having just checked the list of things that the Doc Team is responsible for, the help text strings are actually one of the few areas of documentation related information which do not come under our remit.  Of course, if we had more people on the Doc Team that doesn't mean that we couldn't look at them if requested to do so by those team members who are responsible for them, but we simply don't have sufficient personnel to deal with the text strings and fix all the wiki pages at this time.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Arantor

Please don't make me explain how many things are wrong with what you just said.

live627

Quotethe help text strings are actually one of the few areas of documentation related information which do not come under our remit.
Why not?

It IS documentation, full stop.

Auke

Quote from: ‽ on July 18, 2014, 05:24:58 PM
QuoteI have to click those question marks to at least make me comprehend something

You are awesome. I wish more of our users were like you.
:o Given that I posted over 70 messages in just a couple of days, their is still plenty that I don't understand. Trouble is that lots of explanations are full of terms which I don't know the meaning of.

Quote from: ‽ on July 18, 2014, 05:24:58 PM
QuoteIf you'd like an unpaid side-job as an administrator please let me know...

I am curiously afraid of bugs of the insect kind. But if you have any questions please do ask them here. Someone here is going to know the answer, guaranteed.
I can promise you that if you would accept this moderator job, that the insects, regardless of how full the screen is with them, won't crawl out of your computer. Honestly. :seriousface
And you might even learn a thing or two about them as well.

Quote from: Irisado on July 18, 2014, 05:29:34 PM
Having just checked the list of things that the Doc Team is responsible for, the help text strings are actually one of the few areas of documentation related information which do not come under our remit.
I'm willing to believe you that 'SMF Documentation Help' doesn't cover this kind of things, but are you sure that 'Bug Reports' is a better place? Is it actually on the list that the Bug Team is responsible for? Sounds a bit weird to me to be honest, given that it's not a bug but a textual fault...
Anyway, it's apparently solved in 2.1, so I'll leave it with that. Until I find another fault...

Irisado

Quote from: live627 on July 19, 2014, 12:28:27 AM
Why not?

It IS documentation, full stop.

You'll need to ask someone higher up than me.

Quote from: Auke on July 19, 2014, 01:02:00 AM
I'm willing to believe you that 'SMF Documentation Help' doesn't cover this kind of things, but are you sure that 'Bug Reports' is a better place? Is it actually on the list that the Bug Team is responsible for? Sounds a bit weird to me to be honest, given that it's not a bug but a textual fault...
Anyway, it's apparently solved in 2.1, so I'll leave it with that. Until I find another fault...

Sometimes, we don't have an ideal board for a topic.  There isn't really an ideal place for the issue that you've raised, but for the reasons mentioned earlier in the discussion, it doesn't belong in the Doc Helpers board - that board is purely used for documentation and translation issues with the wiki.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Arantor

Demarcation is alive and well, I see.

Time was when people would just collectively pitch in even if it 'wasn't their job'.

Justyne

If whoever is in charge of this needs help, I am willing to give it a shot and look into the matter.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Auke

Quote from: ‽ on July 19, 2014, 01:18:36 PM
Demarcation is alive and well, I see.

Time was when people would just collectively pitch in even if it 'wasn't their job'.
I think that's -unfortunately- what happens to every social structure, whether it is a company of a forum: when it grows beyond a certain threshold, bureaucracy kicks in.

Quote from: Justyne on July 19, 2014, 01:27:55 PM
If whoever is in charge of this needs help, I am willing to give it and look into the matter.
Apparently it's solved in 2.1, but I'll keep you in mind in case I find something else like this. Thanks!

Advertisement: