News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Please is there anyway i can delete all categories

Started by mulwa, July 19, 2014, 03:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mulwa

Please, is there a way i can delete all categories without boards being affected? I just don't want the categories. Pls help!

Jade Elizabeth

Are you asking to hide the categories and only have boards? Like a single category forum?

If you send me your boardindex.template.php I can take a look, but there's no way I know of to get rid of them completely...so you will still need one and when you're in the board you will still see the breadcrumbs unless you disable them (theme settings) :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Kindred

why not just put all of your boards into a single category?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jade Elizabeth

I think he doesn't want to see the single category either. It would look a bit weird. I know what he's trying to do but it's a bit hard to do on software that has built in features like this.

I would highly recommend categories though. Can you show me your website? Is there something you really don't like about categories? Maybe I can help you sort them out?
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

mulwa

@Jade, you are right. And Kindred i want to remove the category. I'd have linked my site address, but am using a localhost. Pls help

mashby

Wondering why you want the category not visible? What is the benefit?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Kindred

what is the point...  if you have a single category, it displays only at the top of the forum... 

removing the category is not a minor effort, since it is an integral part of the forum design/configuration
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

CMOBOSS_OLD

Sir Osis of Liver

If all you want to do is remove the category bars -

BoardIndex.template.php

<!--tbody class="header" id="category_', $category['id'], '">
<tr>
<td colspan="4">
<div class="cat_bar">
<h3 class="catbg">';

// If this category even can collapse, show a link to collapse it.
if ($category['can_collapse'])
echo '
<a class="collapse" href="', $category['collapse_href'], '">', $category['collapse_image'], '</a>';

if (!$context['user']['is_guest'] && !empty($category['show_unread']))
echo '
<a class="unreadlink" href="', $scripturl, '?action=unread;c=', $category['id'], '">', $txt['view_unread_category'], '</a>';

echo '
', $category['link'], '
</h3>
</div>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody-->';

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

mulwa

thanks to y'all for your prompt response. Am gonna give it a try as instructed by Krash

Jade Elizabeth

I think his website is like those ones that just list topics out and don't separate it into categories. I can't explain it but I've seen it a LOT. That's how we get newbies on here with one category and 100+ boards in it.

Sometimes that works other times it does not.

mulwa

okay i got y'all. It's just similar to what Jade said and not exactly. But i don't wanna make my site like that of others. Since it's a newbie style and somehow weird before you pros if done as i wanted, there'd be no need to delete the categories. Thank you for your helps.

Jade Elizabeth

mulwa

Advertisement: