No Minimum Characters Help

Started by darren9682, July 20, 2014, 08:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darren9682

Hi.

I was wondering if there was any coding or mods that allowed for posts to be made without any characters in?

I tried this mod - http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1528 but despite setting it to 0 words and 0 characters as minimum it still comes up with.

"The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
The message body was left empty."

Message when I try to post.

For those wondering why someone would want to be able to post a blank post it's mainly for those times when the title and the photo attachments are enough.

Example "Photos of my car" and inside are attachments of a car.  No message body text would be needed and I find people often type just one word like "enjoy!" or something just to get past the limits.

Any help would be nice. thanks.

Arantor

No there isn't, because it requires several changes throughout SMF and it's really not recommended to do that.

darren9682

Quote from: ‽ on July 20, 2014, 08:42:16 AM
No there isn't, because it requires several changes throughout SMF and it's really not recommended to do that.

That's a shame. Ok thanks anyway.

Ninja ZX-10RR

No wonder that mod author... I would never install such a thing. But Arantor what should it require? :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

The mod isn't designed to patch around no-content, it's designed to work around not-enough content.

Forcing SMF not to have post content means careful surgery on the post code in multiple places, and perhaps even a tweak of the display and save code. It's honestly not worth the effort.

Ninja ZX-10RR

I have seen it in other forums, along the way, though. Thanks for the reply as always even if today you are being a bit more depressed than usual :(
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Jade Elizabeth

Why don't you try getting around it with some empty BBC? There's an image in the themes that's a 1px blank pixel, you could link to that ha ha. Or just a ":)".

Also maybe you should get a gallery for photos? :D
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/?mod=977
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Ninja ZX-10RR

I don't get the reason why he should do that xD he asked for a minimum character limit and you tell him to add a 1px image... LOL? What for?

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

margarett

So that he can do what he wants to (ie a post without body), not having to mess with a bunch of SMF's code in the process ;)

Imagination, man ;D
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Ninja ZX-10RR

A white dot? A white dot with the font next to the arrow? (1pt) --> [color=white][size=1pt].[/size][/color]

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

if the theme color is not white that will not work.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Yeah and I dare you to see a dot of that size ;) on my forum the background is not white but I can't see a thing :) if you want to get perfection you can actually get the color from the color picker or from inspect element in your browser, but it's not necessary, seriously.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

if you have a dark theme then yes you could easily see it.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

Quote from: margarett on July 21, 2014, 10:54:51 AM
The point is *not* to see it ;)

oh i know ;) it just seems too complicated to be useful.

Justyne

It kinda misses the point though. I think it was all about the convenience of not having to enter anything into the post box at all rather than the cosmetics of the issue. If you write "enjoy" or click "[b][/b]" doesn't make much odds in terms of effort. Mind you, I am not sure why typing "enjoy" is an issue in the first place. It's just five letters to get through.  O:)
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Meh... I think it will be that little that will look more like a broken pixel on the monitor... anyway he can use the [ nobbc ] tags and that's it :)
EDIT: I was replying to Illori but I had been busy xD

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: