News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Registration mails fail to send

Started by TrentT, July 21, 2014, 02:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrentT

As the title says, I am currently having a problem on my forum which causes some people not to receive their activation emails. The only thing what would pop into my mind is when I had changed the webmaster email's address from a @gmail.com to a domain that I own myself. Though, everything went fine for a couple of weeks until it suddenly stopped working.

Any thoughts?

kat

First stop, I believe, is your error log.

Anything weird, there?

TrentT

Quote from: K@ on July 21, 2014, 03:46:57 PM
First stop, I believe, is your error log.

Anything weird, there?

Couldn't find anything odd or outstanding there

kat

It's the "Some" that's odd. Makes me think that your best port of call is your host, to be honest. If some mails are going, the SMF settings must be OK.

Do they have a quota? If so, are you, perhaps, exceeding that?

TrentT

Quote from: K@ on July 21, 2014, 04:04:54 PM
It's the "Some" that's odd. Makes me think that your best port of call is your host, to be honest. If some mails are going, the SMF settings must be OK.

Do they have a quota? If so, are you, perhaps, exceeding that?

Well ugh, our host is still ''trying'' to figure out what the problem is. But let's assume that no emails go out at all, what would I have to look for?

kat

Admin>Maintenance>Mail>Settings.

If "Mail type" is set to the default, PHP, it'll be a host problem, I'm afraid.

Is it only the registration mails that aren't going?

TrentT

Quote from: K@ on July 21, 2014, 04:52:48 PM
Admin>Maintenance>Mail>Settings.

If "Mail type" is set to the default, PHP, it'll be a host problem, I'm afraid.

Is it only the registration mails that aren't going?

Nothing is going out at all actually.

In my Configuration > Server Settings > General I am using using a @hotmail.com address, would that be the cause of my problem?

kat

Possibly, yes. Why not use your domain mail address, out of curiosity?

TrentT

Quote from: K@ on July 21, 2014, 05:10:23 PM
Possibly, yes. Why not use your domain mail address, out of curiosity?

I was using that one before, everything went fine until it suddenly stopped working. So I reverted it in the hope that it would somehow work again.

Kindred

I think hotmail changed something recently...   You may want to use gmail or your server mail...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TrentT

We have eventually moved our host and the email function is working properly now, thanks for your time and help.

Advertisement: