News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Login Problem Solution

Started by gnfb1234, July 21, 2014, 08:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnfb1234

Ok new to smf
site: talk.wlg.co.nz [nofollow]
all seems to function until you try to login retrieve password or sign up

I mainly use wordpress with that you would turn off all plugins then fix

can you either help a Kiwi! or point in direction of thread for solution

thanks

Kindred

If you are running Wordpress on the same server in the same directory structure, there is a good chance that is causing you issues...

However, we need more information...

WHAT happens when you attempt to login?
Smf version?
Mods installed?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

gnfb1234

Ok firstly Thank you for your time

Version 2.06 This is the version that Godaddy had for automatic install I did endeavour to update but all it did was crash the whole thing
so i did a fresh install and started again . At this time its ok to do that as the site has not been released yet. Hence why I am seeing if I am capable of the undertaking as I have no formal computer tec training (unless computers 101 counts in a Biz deg?)

I am willing to admit that I have no logic wordpress is the extent of my ability and the occasional db set up but I just follow instructions

What mods i have? cant remeber as i cant get in !

I can of course get into the ftp side happy to give offer access to solve issue

I can always go back to the wordpress forum if this proves to expensive to maintain

Do you have a cost for maintaing the updates for people as reading the forums its seems beyond the scope of many

suggestions to piss off and let the big boys play are understandable unless you can suggest otherwise

as a suggestion of capabilities it took me about 6 man hours to get to this stage

talk.wlg.co.nz [nofollow]

thanks

Arantor

Unfortunately the most important question asked hasn't been answered.

What *exactly* happens when you try to log in? Error message? Blank screen? Something else?

gnfb1234

DUH!
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

gnfb1234

I just ran the repair settings and that didnt seem to help

I dint however engage this.
Remove all hooks

If mods have installed hooks and a clean install is desired, clicking "Remove all hooks" will ensure that all mods have all elements removed/disabled. Do not use this button unless you know what you are doing.

sounded like it might royally screw everything up?

Kindred

With that error, I am placing bets on Wordpress or some server side htaccess or other configuration issue...

Alternatively...   Knowing what mods you have installed or tried to install would help.

Also.. No, don't use remove all hooks
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

gnfb1234

I would have thought that three major players like wordpress smf and godaddy worked together or if they didnt solutions were arrived at I cant be the only one on goddy running smf and wordpress? But hey what do I know
OK
so?
where to

Hey what if i installed smf "in" wordpress did i read somewhere that you can do that ...... hmmmm maybe not

so?
suggestions to look at 

gnfb1234

Ok
I just skimmed this thread
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=516289.0
a. Does the problem still exsist?
if it does I for one am not prepared to wait for Godaddy to change
unfortunatly everything i do is there so I have to live withme and find something that works with them
shame i really like SMF...I can use it!

ARG01

One thing to remember, NEVER attempt to update SMF through the GoDaddy control panel when it states that an update is available as it will break your install almost every time. Always update through SMF or manually.

Just a heads up.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

gnfb1234

I think I have made the decision to not be the one to take on godaddy lifes to short

I wonder if you would be prepared to suggest a forum that does work with godaddy I know everyone hates godaddy because they won but just like microsoft sometimes you should accept and move on ..anyway

I know wordpress pressbb works fine what about phpbb ? or am i going to suffer similiar problems no matter what bb i use

maybe someone should suggest that godaddy be made to take down the setup for smf if it doesnt work

Kindred

spending a little time on the phone with GD support (go directly to level 3 support) and you can get mod_security correctly reconfigured.
Слaва
Украинi

gnfb1234

so if i go to godaddy and do that should that solve the login prblem or will the program have to be reinstalled?

Kindred

if you get then to fix their bad configuration, your issues should be fixed.... the problem is on the SERVER side of things, not on the SMF side...
Слaва
Украинi

gnfb1234

Well I took your advice and conteacted Godaddy
They recognise the problem but because of th ehosting i have (shared hosting) it cant be switched on or off as it would affect others
I can change over to Cpanel with godaddy same price !
Then the off and on can be effected
Great ! lets do that
BUT you will have to manually move all your sites yourself or we can do it for you ...for a price!
I belive that moving a wordpress site without breaking it requires a abilty similiar to splitting an atom!
So thanks but no thanks
So the solution sorry to say don't use smf with godaddy unless you are already on cpanel or you have a degree form MIT!
Thank you for your attention to this matter sorry it didnt work out for me that is

Kindred

You obviously didn't make it to the level 3 support.

The answer you got is their standard level 1 answer.

(and I support a site running on GoDaddy, not using Cpanel, and it runs SMF just fine now)
Слaва
Украинi

gnfb1234

Ok but I specifically asked for level 3 support but you know what call centres alike. I am sure they are told only pass on at the last possible moment. Now what ? Do I invest another few hours to continue using smf or do I admit defeat....Well seeing as I am British by birth I will never surrender! I will make a strategic withdrawal to programs that I know more about Thanks again

gnfb1234

Quote from: Kindred on July 24, 2014, 07:08:57 AM
You obviously didn't make it to the level 3 support.

The answer you got is their standard level 1 answer.

(and I support a site running on GoDaddy, not using Cpanel, and it runs SMF just fine now)

The site you support has the mod_security been turned off?

Kindred

Either turned off or properly configured, since it has nine of the issues associated with the misconfiguration.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: