News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Forum with different rights for two different member groups

Started by thegymforum, July 21, 2014, 11:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegymforum

I have been on this issue for a while... searching reading... to no avail.

I have two user groups A & B

In some forums, both user groups A & B have full rights.

In the forum in question, I want group A to have post permission and group B has read only rights.

I can't wrap my head around how I'd accomplish this using SMF.

To me, it'd be nice if I was able to select a board and then select a member group, and then set the rights one at a time for each member group.

Any pointers would be appreciated.  It seems that most of the videos and help are for basic help, which I grasp.

thanks in advance

Arantor

You create a new permissions profile for that board and then assign groups A & B permissions for that profile. (The idea being that you can use the same profile for multiple boards)

Kindred

Read the wiki section on board permissions aka permission profiles.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Welcome to the forum!

What the legend explained above means in more user-friendly words to go here after creating a board profile permission --> Forum » Administration Center » Permissions » Board Permissions and edit whatever you want to edit the way you want it to be :) also how to create a permission profile for a board check this useful link http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Board_Permissions :D let us know if you get it sorted out or you need further assistance!
EDIT: Ninja'd about the wiki section
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

thegymforum

Ridiculously, fast responses.  Wow.  Thanks so much.  Yea, I guess some concepts I'm slow at allowing to sink in.

I've been reading http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/All_about_permission_profiles

But I'll study the link you posted and your comments until it gets through my thick skull and then I'll come back when the AHA moment is reached and thank you again.

Thanks!

Ninja ZX-10RR

No problem mate ;)
And as regards for the quick responses... It depends on who is browsing what... This time you found me and the Project Manager himself ;)
For sure tell us if you can't understand it, it would be useful for our documentation team if a page is not clear to change it in order to make it easier to understand or something like that :)
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

thegymforum

It clicked!

The part that I kept getting lost in was... when I was editing the permissions for a profile that I'd created, there's so much stuff on the screen (style wise - default theme) and nothing really stood out.  I didn't grasp that I was editing the rights of the "member groups" below the 'Permissions for Profile "NewProfileName"'.  The key points of the UI on this form blurred into the rest and I couldn't grasp where to look for for "the meat".

I think had the table beneath  'Permissions for Profile "NewProfileName"' had been indented, or somehow stood out that "LOOK HERE" for the meat, then I might have seen it more clearly that those permissions were for "that" profile.  I kept thinking "why would they keep running me in circles and I keep running into different ways to modify the same data. (I thought I was modifying the global permissions for each of the member groups)

I'm hoping this AHA moment extends now to other things because now that I see the way you're doing things... Hopefully the same kind of logic applies in lots of places.

I'm pretty sure  it will.  I experimented with several forum software projects and this one just makes the most sense to me.  Thanks again for all of the great work! :)

Ninja ZX-10RR

Well the first time I tried to edit it, it happened to me as well so it's not just you nor the documentation :P

Anyway like I said you're welcome, tell us if you need more assistance post more in the appropriate sections of the forum :D

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: